Saturday, December 10, 2005

The Joys of the Season -- Christmas Cards

It's that time of year again: the annual cards are arriving in the mail every day from far and near. So far we have only received 5 cards, but I'm sure next week will be big. I mailed my cards yesterday. Go, Laura! Of course, they were totally impersonal -- a picture of the boys in the snow (see my post from a few weeks ago) I had printed out online, slap on a computer-generated address label, a return address label and a Christmas stamp, and put a huge stack of them in the mail box. Ahh, relief!

Of the cards we have received, two are from the same extended family, who shall remain nameless. These have some issues I must address. The first included the "catch-up on the year" form letter. It was generally OK -- telling about the big events of this family, what the kids have been doing in school and extracurricularly.

The issue I had was everything was very, er, religious. Now, I'm not intolerant of religion. I try to be accepting of those with other religions. (Well, calling agnosticism/atheism a "religion" is a stretch.) Anyway, I am fine with Christians sending cards talking about remembering the "reason for the season," etc. I, personally, find the reason for the season to be about giving gifts to friends and loved ones, getting together with loved ones, etc. Yes, I am one of those horrible secular people who has turned Christmas into the Santa-centered holiday it now is. And I don't take offense at people wishing me "Happy Holidays" instead of Merry Christmas. I won't boycott Target because of this. I will continue boycotting Wal-Mart because it is evil, but I won't boycott a store because the employees get the Christians in a tizzy by saying "Happy Holidays" to be more inclusive of non-Christian Americans.

Anyway, back to the cards. The form letter brought up a few things that made me uneasy, but the main one was this: Billy Graham Crusade. The phrase just gives me chills.

The other card that I couldn't handle seemed OK until you read what was printed under the cute picture of the kids: "Merry Christmas from the Smith's" followed by the first names of the parents and kids. Now, this family's last name isn't really Smith. I am using Smith to protect the innocent -- the two boys pictured above the horrible grammatical error. It's possible the boys and their parents are actually property of "the Smith," but I doubt it. I just don't get it. The parents are both educated people who are pretty smart. Do they really not know that adding an apostrophe doesn't just make something plural? Now, I would give them the benefit of the doubt if their last name ended in X or something. "Merry Christmas from the Ajaxs" Hmm, that doesn't look right. Maybe I should do apostrophe X? Now, it would still be wrong, but understandable. More understandable if their last name was actually "X." But, it's not. It's a normal last name, that is made plural by adding a regular old S, not by adding an apostrophe S! Arrggh! And, I could also overlook this error if it were in an email message. But, it's not. It's in a Christmas card that they had printed out. Did they not even proof read this before they had it printed and sent out to family, friends and acquaintances (and grammar nazis)? Or is it nazi's?

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura- too funny on that grammatical error! That is just really really bad. lol

I've gotten quite a few of the "reason for the season" cards and messages so far this year. I'm sort of in the middle on the whole issue. I'm a secular person who is not offended if someone says "Merry Christmas" to me, but I can't help but go "what the hell??" when that school in Bellevue school takes down a "giving tree" from its school because the tree is a supposed "Christian" symbol and it offended one parent. Both sides take it in directions I'd rather not go. I'd rather just take Christmas as a cultural holiday over a religious one given my religious standings and grin and bear it for awhile without getting up in too much of a tizzy. Although I am jaded myself when I feel like I have to buy gifts for people I haven't seen in years and the money is draining out of our bank account faster than I can stop it. But I have to laugh at the people who got all in an uproar over the fact that Bush sent out "Happy Holidays" cards this year instead of "Merry Christmas" ones. I mean, if I'm being honest, it's probably one of the few non-idiotic things the man has done in years, but he still gets roasted for it. We can't please all the people all the time, I guess. :)

Taking my blue liberal ass back over to my blog... lol

Kristen said...

Laura - we also received a "From the Smith's" card - and I had a vent session at home because of it, too. And I am with you on the Holiday/Christmas thing. "Christmas" doesn't even have that much of a religious connatation anymore because of all the social and cultural (and let's not forget COMMERCIAL) aspects to it, so I really don't care if people say "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Holidays". At the same time, a "Christmas Tree" is not a Christian symbol (it's a pagan one from the winter celebration), so removing it from schools seems really stupid to me, too. I agree with Allison that the issue is being taken to extremes by ridiculously uneducated, but somehow credible to the public, individuals. I went off about this in an e-mail to John last week, actually, after a highly religious e-mail was sent out company-wide, going off about how "Christians have to stand up because they're no longer being allowed to celebrate their traditions," etc. It was so ridiculous.

Kristen said...

Laura - are you back home yet? I pop in regularly to see if you're back! And, you've been tagged! http://homeonthefringe.blogspot.com/2006/01/meme.html

Unknown said...

I miss Laura. :(

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online