Tuesday, August 26, 2008

The End of Summer

This is the final week of summer vacation for the boys (and me!). Next Tuesday, Hutton goes to first grade, and Harrison starts his pre-K class Wednesday. This week, I've been doing my best to sleep in, as I realize these lazy sleeping-in weekdays will be over soon.

Hutton turned SEVEN on Saturday! I can't believe I have a child that old. Well, then again, I just turned SOME AGE OVER 30 two Saturdays ago, so it's possible. Just amazing how time flies.

Monday, we went to see Wall-E again with my BFF and her kids. I really do love that movie.

Today, we headed to the Evergreen State Fair in Monroe. Yeehaw! Before hand, I got my name down on a wait-list to rent a hyperbaric oxygen chamber. The phone rang as I was walking out the door, and it was the hyperbaric rental folks! Yes, I convinced Hubby that we needed this, and he agreed. He didn't offer to buy one, however. He said, "OK, rent one for a month and we'll see how it goes." Hey, that's pretty good for Mr. Cynical. So, in October, we're supposed to have a chamber headed our way. Another Yeehaw!

We started our fair day out in a bad way, however. The boys had to use the bathroom as soon as we entered the fair gates. The women's room line was out the door, of course, and Harrison was grabbing his crotch and dancing. Hmm. I very, very stupidly told the boys to go together into the men's room, and then to "Come right out!" after peeing, and we'd wash hands in the women's room. I waited by the door, anxiously, as I started thinking, "Bad idea!" as soon as they boys walked into the men's room without me. Can you guess how that could have possibly gone wrong?

Of course, there was a back door to the bathrooms. Of course, Hutton went out the back door, Harrison went out the front, and when Hutton wasn't with him, I said, "Where's Hutton?" Hmm. My friend's husband went into the men's room. No Hutton. CRAP.

My friend went to the lost kids tent, while I grabbed Harrison's hand and started crying, thinking, "Why do I even bother to try to be normal? What the hell was I thinking that my boys could possibly go to the bathroom without something horrible happening?" Sigh.

A few minutes, that seemed like years, later, my friend received a call on her cell phone. They had Hutton in the lost kids tent. Phew.

When we got there, Hutton was happy to see us, and laughingly told me how he got lost. Glad someone enjoyed it!

Afterward, the rest of the day went well. We spent too much money riding kiddie rides, though the boys and I also went on the Ferris Wheel, which was the highlight of the day for me. We saw some dogs being shown, and toured the barns of various livestock. We ate crappy food, and the boys won some crappy little stuffed animals, but they enjoyed themselves, and we managed to leave with the same number of people as we arrived with, barely.

So, a little reminder to myself that Hutton is not at the stage yet where he can be trusted in a public restroom by himself. It was very stupid of me to believe he was there yet, but lesson learned. However, this time he didn't run off, like he did the last time I lost him (spring of '07 at a birthday party). He simply went out the wrong door, probably following someone else out. Eh. I guess that's some progress.

5 comments:

Floortime Lite Mama said...

Awwww that must have been such a horrible expereince
R is wanderer too and it casues us a lot of stress
Hey Laura I wanted to ask you - did you ever try a chelating agent - like Chelorex or Zeolite
R has a "remarkabl e mercury toxicity" according to the French lab test and I really want to get it out through some of the more gentler means
I will be very interested to hear about the Hyperbaric chamber as well

AshleyLeo said...

Hey Laura. Don't be too hard on yourself with the bathroom incident. It is a lesson, but you made the best decision you could at the moment. One of those women could've offered to let him go ahead of her, noticing the obvious emergency. The good news is that he wasn't traumatized - perhaps wet pants would've ruined a day that sounded really fun.

Good call on the HBOT. My friends that have done it say it's great for THE MOMS too. My friend with acne has a totally clear face since she's been sitting in their with her son. Others have had an energy boost. Ezcema disappearing, all kinds of bonus benefits. Not that it's ever about us moms!

One day I plan on using it for Leo - he himself says how much better he feels after aerobic exercise. He'll tell me he has "to go run around" because he's feeling tired or unwell. Totally does the trick. My theory is that his body responds well on that oxygen boost. I'd like my daughter to have treatment as well.

Laura said...

Kajoli, we have used ALA (alpha lipoic acid) and DMSA for chelation, both Hutton and myself (I had 8 metal fillings removed a while back, and have tons of crap in my body. Wish I'd know that BEFORE I got pregnant with Hutton! Oh well!). We use the Cutler protocol (on Yahoo's autism-mercury list) which is small amounts of DMSA and/or ALA every 3-4 hours around the clock for 3 days on, take 4 or 11 days off, repeat until you're metal free. We take lots of breaks, though, because it's hard to give medicine round the clock for 3 days, even if it's the weekend. I have no idea how many rounds we've done, but I am going to have Hutton's porphyrin test redone in the spring, as well as my own to see if we've budged any of the metals!

Ashley - Yes, we survived with no traumatic wet pants, which very well could have ruined the day for Harrison! All's well that end's well, right?

I am excited to try the HBOT for myself, too! I currently look like a pizza-face, and when I was researching HBOT, read that someone used it for her daughter and it cleared up her acne, so I thought, "Hmm, if I can benefit along with Hutton, we may actually get our money's worth!" It's a lot of money, though, so I hope it is of some benefit for at least one of us. We'll see!

Maddy said...

We're all learning the same lessons it seems.
Best wishes

Alijah Fitt said...

Don't beat yourself up over this one- if you survive raising children you are going to have a few-"the time I lost Hutton in the . . . stories." Autistic or not, we all have them. The good news is the day was a happy one and you all deserve that.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online