Wednesday, October 10, 2007

Friendship...or the Lack Thereof

Something has been weighing on my mind lately. It involves of all things, a Halloween party.

Back story: We have been "friends" with another couple, the Xes, for several years, since we met them on a ski trip the winter after we moved to Washington. We don't hang out that frequently now that both couples have kids, but see each other a few times a year at parties or other get-togethers. Over the years, they have invited us to their annual Halloween parties. Several months ago, Hubby and Mr. X started working together in the same department. Hubby actually told Mr. X about the job. So, they are seeing each other more and are closer friends than they used to be.

Now, onto the weighty issue. This year, we received an invitation to their Halloween party in the mail. I was excited to go. Figure out what the boys would want to wear, come up with costumes for Hubby and myself, you know, the regular party deal. Soon after, Hubby asked if we'd received an invitation, and I told him we had. He then said, "So I was talking to Mr. X., and he mentioned that last year, the babysitters they hired to watch the kids at the party had a hard time dealing with Hutton. So, he asked if we could bring a babysitter for him." I gave Hubby the death glare I wished I could have given Mr. X, but since I couldn't transmit the glare through Hubby, it didn't do much. After a moment of glaring, I said, "Yeah, we weren't invited to their party last year." Hubby said, "Oh, then I guess the year before..."

Hmm. We weren't invited to their party last year. I had invited them all to Hutton's birthday party that summer, but only Mr. X and the younger son showed up. And we hadn't been invited to the party, so I had conned myself into believing maybe they weren't having a party that year, but I think I really knew and felt bad that we weren't invited. But now I know why. Because "the babysitters had trouble with Hutton."

This makes me both angry and sad. I am angry that we are made to feel obligated to hire a babysitter to accompany us to a party, when there will already be babysitters there. But, because our son is apparently so hard to handle, we need to hire one-on-one help. Now, if my BFF had brought this up, I really don't think I'd have a problem with it. If she said, "You know, it might be kinda loud and get crazy at the party, so do you think we should hire a babysitter to keep an eye on Hutton?" I wouldn't blink an eye. I'd probably say, "That's a great idea!" In fact, we did just that at her son's first birthday party this year, as it was a month after Hutton ran away from an outdoor birthday party. So, it makes sense, and I can see why they suggested it, but I still feel angry. I guess I can see how much Hutton has progressed over the summer, and I don't really think he'd need an extra one-on-one sitter to watch him at a party, where both of his parents will be present, as well as at least two babysitters hired by the host family.

And then the sadness kicks in. I feel sad that this is what we have to expect from this family in the future. And I'm sure they won't be the only family of "NTs" who feel this way, who won't want my autistic son at their party unless he is completely reined in by an adult who can devote full attention to him only. I really just wanted to go have fun at a party, but now I don't think I'll be able to do that, knowing we're being silently judged with our "crazy" child running amok.

So, after mulling this over more than it probably needs mulling, I've come up with a lot of cons to attending this party, including that hiring a babysitter, at $20 hour for three hours or so, is going to be a lot money, and Hubby says we need to budget. If we're going to spend that on a babysitter, I'd rather go out on a date than to a Halloween party. In addition, I'll be watching Hutton regardless, to make sure he doesn't eat something he shouldn't. I really don't trust others with this, since apparently one of his teachers has already forgotten about his food issues within a month, and gave him a graham cracker the other day. So, if I'm going to be watching him carefully to make sure he doesn't eat something he shouldn't, why should I pay someone else to watch him, too?

After thinking of these cons, I've come up with the following options:

1. Suck it up. Hire a babysitter and attend party. Pretend to be happy to be there, so Hubby, who will actually enjoy being there, can have some time with his friends.

2. Tell Hubby I couldn't find a babysitter, so he and Harrison should go, and Hutton and I will stay home.

3. Hire a babysitter, have her stay here with the boys, then attend party. Tell hosts, "Well, since we're spending $20 hour on a babysitter, I figured I'd rather the boys get to bed on time. And Hutton has food allergies, so I didn't trust him to not have an infraction, anyway."

4. Have Hubby go to party solo. He can tell the hosts whatever he wants. (My wife hates you now. My family all has small pox....)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

So, what do you think? What would you do? Am I being unreasonable and touchy? Or am I just feeling something only a fellow touchy Autism mom could understand? Give me a vote in your comments!

And I was really getting excited about this Halloween party. I have a great costume idea for myself, but it will remain a secret until Halloween, provided I actually dress up.

12 comments:

kristen spina said...

Hi. I'm not sure if I've left a comment here before, but I keep you in my bookmarks and come over to visit now and again.

I completely understand where you are coming from on this on. I do not think you are being too sensitive or over-thinking this at all. Parties are difficult for us as well. It sounds like if they need "babysitters" on hand for all the kids, that it's a pretty big shindig, lots of noise, lots of chaos, a situation I would just avoid with my son.

Only you can decide what to do, but here's what I would ask myself: Is this party going to be fun for Hutton? Or is it going to cause him stress? And I would let that guide me.

It's hard sometimes, because they start out having fun, but then it escalates and they can't pull back and then it spirals out of control, so ultimately, it's stressful.

Put yourself in his shoes. And then decide. Either way, I would send your husband--with or without your other son.

I once sat in a hotel room during an out-of-town wedding because my son couldn't cope. These are the things we do. We don't always like it, but we do it.

AshleyLeo said...

Hi Laura. I like the things that Kristen said, so #3 fits-the-bill.

You are right, NT families do not understand what it's like, and even with lots of conversation over time educating people, they are not emotionally involved like we are. They can't understand how serious the food thing is, or how this party is something perhaps special in your tiwid/Autism life.

I got from the post that yes, you and Hubbie DO want to go. So I say grownups go. I'd save a party with kids to an opportunity where you don't expect to have your own fun, just focusing on your kids having fun (and tolerating their parents which may not be your friends).

The hard part is yes, as a family what can you enjoy together, where can you feel accepted completely, as a family? I found just a couple, and I was happy that at least my kids got to experience an outing at someone else's house.

Kristen reminded me of a time when during one of Leo's early parties, he and I spent most of the time in the guest room because of the sensory overload. We realized then we'd have to pick and choose, and that it does suck.

I'm looking forward to hearing about the costume!

Arwen said...

Hi Laura,
I don't have an autistic child but our next door neighbors do and we socialize with them quite a bit. When we first moved in we, both the other couple and us, realized that their son would have to have a little more attention at our house than the other children, he and the other children had some socializing work and we wanted them there but at first needed some additional structure. The problems that arose when he was playing in the group weren't occurring when he wasn't playing with the children. It isn't a problem anymore, he and our daughter get along very well and are comfortable with each other so it is no longer a big deal. It took work on our part to learn how to interact with him in a way that made sense to him. Does that make sense?
I think the other couple handled it really badly but they may want him there but with more structure (the additional baby sitter), the way we initially needed more structure with the boy next door. I used to be uncomfortable with the little guy, he wouldn't make eye contact, he spoken atonally, I was just not used to him. Now we get along great but it took awhile for me to get comfy and for him to get comfy. I really credit his parents for explaining what we could do to work through the problems we all had. We didn't want to exclude so we had to learn how to include. It wasn't anything I knew anything about at the time since I didn't have a child on the spectrum.
I would wonder whether Hutton would want to be at the party. If he doesn't want to be there then I would pick the romantic dinner with your husband. If Hutton would want to be there then the decision is more challenging. Also, I noticed the more our next door neighbor's boy and Elizabeth played together, the easier the boy played with Elizabeth's friends who came over. I don't know if that was some of the therapy his parents were doing with him, or whether the friendship he and Elizabeth has helped or a combination but their one on one time is really cute now (they play ballerina GI Joe's among other funny games). If Hutton hasn't had that with the other children at the party it may be more stressful for him.
What a complicated issue. I hope this ramble helped on some level...
(as you can see I still don't know that much, just what has worked in our very limited situation).

Melly said...

Well, I'm thinking about my friends, like my REAL friends who love me and my boys...and if they had a concern about my son they would hire and extra babysitter themselves and not make me worry about it. Because they would want me and my handful of a kid at their party.

I don't know, Laura, they just don't sound like the kind of people who I could be friends with. That's pretty insensitive.

HOpe you have a great Halloween whatever you decide to do.

Hugs.

Laura said...

Thanks for the input, ladies!

Let's see - Hutton has fun at parties, generally, and doesn't usually get too overloaded unless there's loud noises. And if it's just people talking, kids being loud, etc., he's fine with that. The last time we had trouble was in May when he did his elopement, but the last three parties we've been to have been fine.

Sigh. I don't know. Yeah, it definitely makes me appreciate my "real" friends who know and love Hutton and accept him for who he is - the sweet, funny, happy kid who can sometimes be a little, uh, intense!

Carmen San Diego said...

I'm sorry you have to deal with this. I wish the X's could of been more up front with you and not send you an invite without first speaking to you. I mean if you all were friends for so long i think you all would of handled it pretty well. I mean I know since I work with special ed. children that life isn't easy and that you parents (most at least) are much more able to handle people coming to you ahead of time with their worries. I think that if they just would of come to you, it would of been so much easier and you wouldn't be dealing with this. I'm so sorry. Really I am. Hopefully it'll work its self out.

Club 166 said...

OK, do you think that these are still "friends of yours" or have they morphed into "work friends of your husband's"?

If they are (or you want them to be) "friends of yours" then I think that you need to take Hutton to the party one way or the other.

Because if they're going to be ongoing friends, they need to learn to include Hutton, and that you are going to include him. If you don't want to hire a separate sitter (and I know that we probably wouldn't), then I would plan on all of you going for a shorter period of time. Call them up ahead of time, and tell them that since you're only staying a short while you're not going to hire a sitter, and that you'll just attend to any special needs Hutton has. Let the kids know ahead of time that you'll only be staying a short while, and set up a reward for when you are out the door (something good so that there won't be any big protests). If everything is going swimmingly, then I would stay for a moderate (rather than short) period of time, and let your "friends" see that Hutton really can behave. This will smooth things over for next time. If they object to not hiring a sitter for you only staying a short time, then they really don't want you as friends.

Now if they're only going to be "friends thru hubby's work" then let him go alone, and do a separate night out some other time.

Joe

Niksmom said...

Ooh, I like Joe's perspective on this one. I think I agree; if you want them to be friends of yours then take Hutton. Better to find out their true colors now than later.

Mom without a manual said...

Now see, I was all about #3 until I read Joe's comment. I think he is right.

Still, I know how frustrating and sad this is. I hope it ends up going well!

Laura said...

Thanks for all the comments! I am thinking I may ask Hutton's new ABA therapist if she can come to the party with us. That way I can call it "working on play/social skills" and not dwell on it being a babysitter, right? If she can't go, I'll try another babysitter we like, and if she's not free, I'll probably use your suggestion, Joe!

I used to think of these people as friends, but after this, I think they're more into Hubby than me. That's fine. I'm the boring SAHM, not in the same line of business they're all in. Oh well! Life changes and people change, too. We'll see...

Anonymous said...

I'd either do #2 or #3.

#2 is a strong statement that you'd rather stay home with your son then expose him (and yourself) to the NTs silent judgement.

#3 is good because then you get to do your death glare in guise of 'rather get the kids to bed on time' and watch them squirm with embarrassment as they figure out what you really mean...

I know I don't really need to clarify this since you simply stated it in your post but I hired a babysitter at my son's party primarily for MY kids as well as your kids. The other kids at the party are pretty wild and scare the crap out of my daughter. I wanted her to have an adult to help her if she encountered a problem with the 'crazies' as H, H, A, and F were calling the others. And I while I was worried about H taking off that was not the primary reason I hired the sitter, I wanted you to enjoy yourself at the party and thought you would better if you knew we had extra hands!


BFF

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hi,Lawrer. Sorry you have to deal with this crap. Perhaps you could bring Hutton, and tell family X that you will have a sitter pick him up after (whatever time you think he will be able to enjoy himself) and take him home. "Kate will show up by 8:30 to bring him home and put him to bed." That way Hutton gets to interact with everyone, as is his right as a fellow human being, and you can stay and enjoy the party as a grown up too. You don't have to pay for the time when he's at the party. And the hostess gets to accept Hutton and the rest of the family as "one." Will Hutton be comfortable leaving the party without you? And are you so gung ho on the party that you'd want to stay, or have you soured on the idea?

KIM

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online