Saturday, April 08, 2006

Moments I Love as a Mother

I had one of these moments the other day. I had been cleaning windows all afternoon, with H & H "helping out," following me around with cloths and then getting distracted and climbing on the furniture, chasing each other around, trying to steal my steam cleaner, etc.

I finally finished the downstairs windows, and turned on the TV for the boys to watch while I went to throw my dirty cleaning rags in the wash. I put on a TiVoed episode of "Jack's Big Music Show, " and walked out of the living room. A few minutes later, I found Hutton in the kitchen, looking suspiciously "up to something." He moved aside to show me what the look was about. There, on the floor in front of the refrigerator, was an empty egg carton and the last three eggs (brown, free-range organic eggs, of course) broken on the floor. I was pissed. As I let the steam explode from my ears, I cleaned up the eggs and explained to Hutton in the calmest voice possible (though still an overly loud and angry voice) that eggs were not a toy and I didn't want him to EVER, EVER, EVER touch an egg again unless I had given him permission to do so.

Afterwards, I went in to the living room to check on Harrison who was still watching "Jack's Big Music Show." The boys love this show, and I like it, too. We've seen all the episodes Noggin has played, so I noticed very quickly that the episode was about the Baby Bongo Bird. You know, the bird who plays the bongo drums. The bird who hatches. From an egg. D'oh! So apparently Hutton was just trying to get his own baby bongo bird out of the refrigerator.

4 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh man. I feel that ache. I do that all the time, yell at Bryce for something and then realize there was an innocent intention behind whatever he was doing. And usually it involves some potential learning experience that I probably ruined for him. Ugh. I'm sorry. We can commiserate on this one...I definitely know the feeling.

Stacy said...

awww how sweet! poor boy just wanted to help a chicky out ...

Jennifer said...

Over and over I realize how I'm squashing Kyra's curiosity about the world. We absolutely MUST help each other remember to try and see the wider context of their actions; it's too easy on my own to just react. Thanks for this reminder!

Unknown said...

I've done the same sort of thing so many times I've lost count, and I remember the pang of regret I feel every time I do it too, as Jennifer so eloquently put- squashing their curiosity about the world. I hate that I've done that too and I really need to remember to control my reactions to some of the things they do.

On a side note, we also love Jack's Big Music Show. My favorite one is the Dance Party one. I'm always groovin to the DJ beats. LOL

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online