Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Happy Birthday to Me

Yep, it's my birthday! Not as exciting when you're an old broad with kids. I had to tell the boys this morning at breakfast that it was my birthday. They both managed a "happy birthday" after I told them: "Tell Mommy Happy Birthday!" Yes, the forced happy birthdays are the best!

I'm now 33. You know, that was a big year for Jesus. We'll see how my 33rd year of life goes.

As an early birthday gift for myself, I had my IUD removed yesterday. Woohoo! Rock on! I got to my ultrasound appointment 15 minutes early, having guzzled down 36 ounces of water in the minutes before. (You know, you're supposed to show up with a full bladder, and they recommend 24 to 36 ounces. I like to go for the gold, folks!) I then had to wait an additional 30 minutes after my appointment time, as the u/s tech was running behind. So, after crossing my legs and attempting to pay attention to the March issue of Healthy Woman magazine I was reading, I finally gave up and went to the bathroom, then guzzled 7 or 8 cups of really cold water from the little water cooler. That just made me freezing cold, which is great when you have to remove clothing. I did have a full bladder for my ultrasound though. Go, Laura!

So, the ultrasound was truly magical. Oh wait, I'm not pregnant. Seeing your uterus with a beautiful shining IUD inside isn't quite the same as seeing a fetus. The technician also looked at my ovaries, and I pretended to know what she was talking about when she said, "See your right ovary, here?" You mean that blackish gray thing in the rest of the blackish gray area? Sure, I see it!

A doctor came in to check the ultrasound stuff, and was up for the challenge of getting the IUD out. I think when she heard that the midwife couldn't get it out 10 days ago, that made her feel even more competitive. "Those silly midwives don't know nothing 'bout uteri! I'll show you how to get an IUD out!" Anyway, I'm now IUD free, and fancy free, or something like that.

Today I'm going to a friend's house for cake after Hutton goes to a consultation with a new ABA consultant. Friday night Hubby is taking me out to dinner for a delayed birthday celebration. I had to remind him that Snakes on a Plane opens Friday night, too. Who knows, maybe we'll get really crazy and have dinner and see a movie!

6 comments:

Schmoop said...

What says "Happy Birthday" more than having a contraceptive device removed from your body? Congrats on that and Happy 33rd!!

--Matt

Kristen said...

Happy Birthday, Laura! I'm glad you got the IUD taken care of - that was a little scary when they couldn't find it!!

Have a great date night on Friday!

Clint said...

Nothing like starting the day with a uterus story.

Happy belated. Hope it was a good one.

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday, Laura!! Let's hope your 33rd is not nearly as exciting as Jesus' but a lot more fun. lol

And thank goodness that IUD is taken care of!

Laura said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes! And did no one want more information on the knit uterus pictured? Really? OK! I'll stop talking about uteri. Promise, no more uteri for at least 6 posts.

Anonymous said...

Now I know why you were asking about the proper spelling for the plural of urterus... ;)

Happy Bday Girl!

LYLAL

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online