Monday, August 07, 2006

What Not

After our return home Wednesday, we quickly got back to our regular lives. One thing I noticed, that I always notice when I'm gone from my house for more than a few days, is that my house smells bad. Not like dead bodies bad, but like we have two dogs and they tend to leave their hair everywhere. And it's not like a kennel smell. It's just a stale smell. Until we perfect smell-o-vision, and then bring it to the internet, you'll have to just imagine what that smells like.

I'm not into fake smells, either, so all those scented oil type air fresheners don't work for me. I tend to get headaches from fake smells. I can't smell the stale smell anymore, so maybe just having people cooking in the house helps get rid of it. I'm pretty sure Hubby did very little cooking while we were gone. I made some bacon yesterday, so now our kitchen smells like bacon. Which is good if you like bacon.

Anyway, this weekend was Seafair, which is an annual event in Seattle with boat races and other assorted fun. The Blue Angles, those navy jets that fly around in neat formations, were here for the weekend for two performances. They were also practicing before hand on Thursday and Friday. Thursday when I took Hutton to his speech therapy in Bellevue, which is across Lake Washington from Seattle, I could hear the planes and every once in a while they'd circle overhead in a turn. Thursday afternoon I went to a "beach" on Lake Washington with a friend and her kids, and we saw the Blue Angels practicing a bit, and the boys enjoyed playing in the water and the sand, though I really don't like gray-brown sand on my beaches. Yes, I'm a sand snob, and I like the naturally occurring white stuff found on the Gulf Coast of Florida. The gross gray-brown stuff dumped in places along Lake Washington doesn't do it for me. And as I was wading in the water with Hutton, I remembered that you can get swimmer's itch from lakes around here. If you don't know what swimmer's itch is, you don't want to know! Wearing sunscreen is supposed to help. Then again, it's not like you don't have things to worry about when swimming in the ocean -- sharks, jellyfish, etc. I've never tangled with a shark, fortunately, but know from personal experience that jellyfish suck. Or sting, rather.

After hanging out on the beach, the boys wanted to play on the playground. I pushed them on the swings for a few minutes and happened to see a little girl (4 or 5) wearing a Hooters tee-shirt. Yep, this girl's mother or father thought it was funny to put a shirt that said, "Future Hooters Waitress" or something like that, on their daughter. Ick. Way to foster the big dreams, there, folks! I had my camera with me, but couldn't get a pic. You'll have to take my word for it.

Saturday, we went to lunch in Bellevue, then afterwards went to the roof of the parking garage to watch the Blue Angels perform. At one point, they flew directly overhead, and that was cool. They seemed incredibly close to the buildings, and even though I know they were much higher than they appeared, it was still amazing. I only got a couple of bad pictures on Thursday at the beach, and didn't have my camera with me on Saturday, so this is it!



3 comments:

Kristen said...

Wow - that is so cool! And I can't believe how big Harrison looks!!

I know the stale smell. I hate it too.

Schmoop said...

Cute kid...I mean to tell you, as a guy I kinda squirmed on the IUD story, but damn, the post was hilarious...good job.

Unknown said...

Oh hey! I wanted to say that I was at the Mariner's game on Saturday and the best part was watching the Blue Angels fly overhead. Damn the M's SUCK. lol

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online