Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Spawn Of Satan Returns

Friday started out well. I took the boys to the University of Washington for Hutton's ABA therapy, and made it on time! I thought I'd be late, but there was no traffic. Then, I had cash to pay for parking. If you pay the $11 in cash, you can get a refund of $5 when leaving. So, instead of paying 11 freaking dollars to park for an hour and half, you only have to pay $6. What a bargain, huh? I've had to pay the entire $11 several times, though, when I don't have enough cash, as I tend to run out of cash by the end of the week. Did I really need those lattes? Well, this week I was good and drank my lattes at home. (Plus, I had cash from doing a "Fieldwork Seattle" music study last week. I went in on two days, for two hours each time. I listened to a tape filled with 5 second snippets of songs and rated them. It was a fun, kid-free event that was like a trip down memory lane, listening to songs I'd forgotten about. And getting paid $125 in cash was nice, too.)

So, a good start to the morning. Then after talking to Hutton's therapists for a few minutes, I left them to do their work, and Harrison and I went for a walk, to enjoy a beautiful, rain-free day. We walked along the water (the Montlake Cut behind the UW, which connects Lake Union to Lake Washington) and looked at the ducks and geese. We walked up a big hill, then went to the hospital to get some snacks to take to Hutton's next appointment: the nutritionist. Everything was great. Harrison was in a good mood, though getting tired from the walking. I should have known that things wouldn't get any better.

We picked up Hutton and headed for the nutritionist's office, south of downtown Seattle. Of course, traffic had picked up by then, parking was a bigger issue (though cheaper!) and we were 10 minutes late for the appointment. Still, nothing too bad. Harrison and Hutton played relatively nicely while the nutritionist and I discussed the GFCF diet, and probably cutting out corn as well in January. Then, it was time to go. I started asking Harrison to clean up the toys and crayons he had spread all over the floor five minutes earlier. I repeated my request for the fifth time, and the nutritionist asked him to clean up, nicely, as well. No go. Harrison kept yelling out, "I clean up!" but not doing so. I started to put some crayons away. That did it. The Spawn of Satan replaced my child instantly. It thrashed around, spreading the crayons and toys everywhere. The nutritionist gave me a look of terror, and told me he'd happily clean up the toys after we left. I agreed that was the best thing to do. My good son and the Spawn of Satan accompanied me out to the lobby, son walking, SOS being carried sideways, screaming and thrashing. I quickly made a second appointment with the nutritionist, which I will probably cancel now, as I don't think I want to be seen in his office again after our last appearance. SOS's face was bright red from screaming, "Clean up crayons! Go to doctor's office!" I kept telling him he didn't clean up the crayons, that it was too late for that now. We had to leave.

I carried him to the elevator, making small talk with another passenger who tried to look like she wasn't terrified for her life. We made it to the car. SOS convinced me to let him walk for a moment, but then I carried him again when he attempted to run back to the elevators, to go "clean up crayons. Go doctor's office!" still screaming hysterically and red-faced. Hutton got into his seat quickly, his hands covering his ears. SOS writhed and bucked as I attempted to get him into his carseat, still screaming about the crayons. I was cursing under my breath by now, telling SOS that he COULD NOT go back to the doctor's office, that the crayons were cleaned up already, etc. I was wondering if I could bribe him with something, when a woman approached, wide-eyed with fear. I looked at her, with my, "Please don't tell me my son is disturbing you. Can't you see I'm about to lose it and go mental?" look. But she didn't complain. Maybe she'd seen the Autism Awareness sticker on my car, and thought this screaming SOS was the Autistic one. She simply said, "If I can help you in any way, just let me know." By then I had pressed SOS's writhing pelvis into his seat using all my strength, and strapped him in. "Oh, he's just being a two-year-old!" I replied with total false-cheer. "Thank you!" I slammed the door, she walked away, and I got into the car to the still roaring, red-faced SOS. After I paid for parking, and had driven north to get back to the 520 bridge, I had devolved to screaming, myself. Answering SOS's screams with my own, "We're not going back to the effing Doctor's! You DIDN'T PUT THE CRAYONS AWAY! IT'S TOO EFFING LATE FOR THAT!" Good times. SOS stopped screaming abruptly in Bellevue, as he'd passed out. When the child woke from his nap two hours later, sweet Harrison had returned.

I have learned that scheduling two of Hutton's appointments back-to-back, when Harrison is due for a nap, without lunch in-between appointments, is a very, very BAD IDEA.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I had a similar incident with Elias at one of my doctor appointments the other day. Holy mother of hell, that child's head should have exploded... I'm glad your sweet boy came back. I'm still waiting for mine... lol

Laura said...

Yes, he came back, but I'm worried that one of these days, Harrison will stay gone, and the Spawn will remain in his place. The head exploding: Yep, I can see that happening to Harrison, too. I mean his face was bright reddish/purple he was screaming so much. I expected his eyes to pop out at any moment, like one of those old stress dolls. And when you're so good with dealing with stress like I am...wait, no, I'm a bitchy yelling freak when stressed out. Loving the terrible twos.

AshleyLeo said...

Now that's quite a day. Figures, the typical kid giving you some grief. I often found this to be the case at this stage too - Sydney was 2 when Leo was almost 5. Not fun, especially the hitting phase and I had to explain that one, the "theory of mind" piece about his sister so he wouldn't kill her.

More importantly, isn't it illegal to make your own espresso in Seattle?

AshleyLeo said...

Oh, and btw I knit too! More things in common. And my best friend lives in Bothell

Lisa said...

Aww I miss the terible twos..

Seriously I do. I will swap my sassy, back chatting, telling my youngest there is no Santa, sneering, 13 year old for a 2 year old anyday

You cant make a teen take a nap..

Unknown said...

So what you're saying, Lisa, is it's all downhill from here. I can totally agree w/ that. LOL

Lisa said...

Yes Alli, it seems like that at times.

She's a good kid mostly, works hard in school,never been in trouble, but some days I swear theres someone else in her place.

I wrote that not long aftr she told Bethan she was a freak for thinking there was a Santa. She knows full well the rule is we say nothing and let Bethan stop believing when she wants.

Ive calmed now - because they are sleeping....

Laura said...

Yes, I hope there are a few good, calm years before the teenager stuff, though!

Ashley, Hutton is usually very good with dealing with his brother's melt-downs, but every once in a while he'll reach over to hit him, then I have to remind him "we don't hit!" while thinking, evil mom that I am: "Go ahead and hit him, maybe he'll stop." That's cool about the knitting and Bothell connection! I love your bunnies, by the way!

AshleyLeo said...

Actually, that's how we got Sydney to eventually stop. Shh...don't call social services! After months of this, we told Leo to ever so gently hit her back. It finally happened after many talks with Syd about the new "consequence". The threat before-hand was way more effective - his sudden leap in her direction, big arm flying toward her, followed by more of a tap than a hit. That did it. Oh, and another one about a half hour later. She wanted to be sure.

AshleyLeo said...

Oh, and the lesson for Sydney was part of Leo's ABA program - an exercise in cause & effect and prediction. What will she do? Why do you think so Leo? blah blah blah

I can say he relished the project and new power!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online