Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Goodbye, Thad

Friday morning, our phone rang before I was up. Hubby was already up, and I checked the caller ID. It was one of Hubby's high school friends. I didn't really think about it, rolled over and went back to sleep. Hubby came in the room and took a shower. He got dressed. I sat up in bed and Hubby said, "M. called a little while ago. Thad died this morning."

Thad was one of Hubby's best friends in high school. He learned to fly planes before he could drive, and flew cross-country as a 15-year-old. He had worked as a pilot in his twenties, then had been working with his parents and wife as a financial planner and stock-broker. Thad and his wife had two children, a boy and a girl. Things didn't work out, and they divorced, but continued to work together.

Thad was a fun person, upbeat and adventurous. He loved boating, and we didn't get to see him when we were in Pensacola this past Christmas because he was boating to Key West with friends to celebrate New Year's. We spent lots of time with him when we lived in Hollywood, FL in the late 90s, when Hubby and I were newlyweds and Thad was a pilot and flew out of Miami a lot. He had a drinking problem, but it seemed like he'd gotten things back on track when he married and had children. We spent time with him and his family in 2004 when we rented a beach house in Pensacola for the month of August, and I cherish those memories.

Then, the divorce happened, and it seemed like Thad was partying a lot. I don't know the whole story of his death. No one really does, since Thad was the only one there, but it involved a gun. His obituary says it was a tragic accident. Accident or not, it was truly tragic.

I hope Thad will find peace now. And I wish his family and children peace as well.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

This is the reason Hubby is out of town, and this week when I've lost patience with the boys, or got annoyed that our kitchen faucet broke (yes, these things have to happen when my live-in plumbing expert is out of town!) or that Hutton ate cat food for the second time in as many days...I remember why Hubby is out of town and it helps me put things in perspective. Cat food and broken faucets are nothing in the grand scheme of things.

Every time I've been in the car since Friday, I'll hear a song, and sad or not, it will make me think of Thad and cry. Strangely enough, I haven't heard any Neil Diamond, one of Thad's favorites. He gave me and Hubby a double CD of Neil Diamond Live once. We don't really listen to it, but I think I'll pull it out this afternoon, to remember Thad singing along with his big sunny smile.

7 comments:

Michelle O'Neil said...

So sorry about the loss of your friend.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Laura, I'm sorry. I hope Thad is at peace. And I pray for his children.

Schmoop said...

That is sad. I've been talking to alot of people I went to High School with lately. (We have our 25 year reunion this year.)

We have had several of our buddies pass on. Here's to Thad sitting somewhere enjoying the sun. Cheers Laura!!

AshleyLeo said...

Hi Laura. I'm SO sorry for your loss and for your husband. Very sad. I hope everyone recovers soon - it's hard not to think of our own mortality when something like this happens. Man.

Thinking of you all, Ashley

Floortime Lite Mama said...

So sorry about your DH's friend Laura

Laura said...

Thanks for all your kind words, everyone!

Alijah Fitt said...

Sweet Caroline! Hugs to you and hubby, sorry for your loss, truly sounds like a sweet soul gone too soon.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online