Sunday, March 02, 2008

I'm Not What You'd Call a Strong Blogger

Yes, I realize it's been two weeks since I last added something here. I've also been bad about reading others' blogs. What can I say? I'm lazy!

I've been busy. Well, sort of. I've been doing lots of gardening lately, since the weather here has been beautiful the past few weeks -- lots of sun and warmth. Seeing green shoots popping up everywhere gets my thumbs itching -- you know, my somewhat green thumbs. I've planted two pear trees, an apple tree, a flowering cherry tree, two lilac shrubs, and two blueberry bushes, and lots of bulbs. I've also hacked down several small maple trees. These are like weeds around our yard -- vine maples sprout up every year, usually right under a big Douglas fir, and once they start getting bigger, it just doesn't suit my gardening aesthetics. If they're in the wooded area to the side or back of the house, I don't care, but if I can see them, I have to do something. So, using a bow saw, I saw, and saw, and saw, then saw some more, so I can get the wood into manageable lengths to throw on the wood pile.

I've told Hubby he needs to get out the chainsaw, to tackle a small dead fir tree in our front yard, that's just a bit too big for me to tackle with the bow saw, but he hasn't done so yet. (I'm way too fragile to handle a chainsaw. I value all of my limbs, even my still weak sprained ankle. I pride myself on being pretty strong, but I don't think chainsaws were designed for use by the average woman under 5'4".) He's also refused to get out the chipper, which I said would be handy for dealing with the many branches from my maple tree hacking. Say what? Yes, we have a chipper/shredder that we haven't used for several years, and yesterday I mentioned I would like to get it out to use in the yard, and Hubby said, "No, we're not going to do that. Just throw the stuff in the back yard." I don't get it. Why do we have this machine if I'm not allowed to use it? Did I mention it's a chipper SLASH shredder? That means I can shred up the millions of leaves I've raked into piles as well, to use as mulch or add to the compost bin. Yes, I'll be using BOTH functions of this magical machine! And it's not like Hubby will be out there sweating and getting dirty. No, that will be me. I just ask that he helps me get it out of the tight confines of our garage. Also, I don't like the big piles of woody debris, which is right behind the swing set. I slid on a piece of lumber getting some sticks into the pile last week, and landed on my ass. Fortunately, I've got lots of padding there, but I don't want one of our children climbing up on the pile when my back is turned and injuring themselves. Not to mention that rabid weasels may take up residence there. OK, that last part isn't likely.

Grr. I may get the chipper out by myself and if Hubby complains about it, I'll tell him I got it out to sell on Craigslist, since we're obviously not using it.

~~~~~~~~~
I've thought of lots of posts about Autism of late, but haven't actually written them. Right now, I've got to go take a shower, so you'll have to wait a bit longer for my oh-so-insightful writings on the big A.

Oh, and after Kim's comment below, I found this for your (well, OK, MY) viewing pleasure. Click here.

3 comments:

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Is that from my favorite Martin Short SNL piece on synchronized swimming???? "I'm not a very strong swimmer....."

Laura said...

Yes, Kim! I LOVE that skit. Hey...you...I know you! I know you! Dig a hole! Dig a hole!

Want to go find it on Youtube now, to watch it for the millionth time!

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

We ARE related, aren't we?

"Oh my! It's Pat Saaaaayjak, I must say!" Ed Grimley is one of my all time favs. And Jiminy Glick! I do a mean impression of all of them. I can kind of do voices really well. One of my many unmarketable charms!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online