Monday, November 19, 2007

Turning the Corner

OK, I've officially turned the corner. The bad crap is officially over. I refuse to let anything else break in my home, and when it does, I will NOT get upset.

Yesterday afternoon, after we returned home from getting new tires on my car, as well as a new, working microwave to use until our old one is repaired (we wouldn't bother spending the money to repair it, except our microwave and convection oven are one combined unit, built-in in our kitchen, so replacing the whole thing would be too expensive!), one of our garage doors broke. Now, the garage door opener broke last month, and Hubby replaced it with two new ones (the previous owners of our home had rigged the garage doors so they were hooked together and used one opener, but Hubby returned it to a normal state - two doors, no connection, two openers) and everything was going well. Then, the spring on the door broke. So, after an afternoon spent spending money we don't have to spend to replace broken stuff, Hubby went to Home Depot to buy a new garage door spring. As he was fixing the door, I checked in on him, and he suddenly started throwing an adult tantrum. Yeah, I do that myself, so I can't blame him. He'd dropped a bolt, and it bounced off the toolbox, and disappeared into the pit of our garage. Was it under the plastic shelving unit, hiding in some pine needles and dog hair dust bunnies? Or did it bounce over under that pile of muddy shoes? Who knows! Hubby announced he was finished fixing broken shit that weekend, and stormed upstairs to play Halo. Fine with me. I was tired of fixing shit, too! I left my car, with the purty new tires, parked outside, and cleaned up the garage a bit.

This morning everything went well. The boys were up early and dressed themselves. We got Harrison dropped off at school, then Hutton accompanied me to get some coffee. We went to Value Village looking for a cheap bookshelf, which they didn't have, but they did have a very cool sandbox for $20, so we bought that. It's a combination sand/water table with a cover, and it has legs and a drain. Hutton was very excited to have a sandbox just like his friend Amy's. Then, we went to the grocery store and got a nice little turkey and some other Thanksgiving grub. I'm over my Thanksgiving funk, too, and I'm actually excited to make cranberry sauce, stuffing and sweet potatoes on Thursday. We'll cook the turkey in our grill, like we did last year, and I'm sure it will turn out well!

This afternoon, Harrison pooped on the potty. Yippee! I'm going to go make rice crispy treats now.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I've been quietly monitoring the state of your mind over the last week or so, waiting for some sunshine to peek through, and also preparing to spring for the moment when you said: "Fuck this. I'm going to overdose on lattes and start shooting people." I'm glad you didn't make it to that point.

Although I have to say that I hate that George W. Bush has effectively ruined the "turning the corner" phrase. ;)

Laura said...

Acck! I can't believe I used a Bushism on my blog! I need to OD on lattes and shoot myself, apparently!

Don't worry, if I'm drinking enough lattes, I won't ever get violent. Please let me know if I ever use any more of Dubya's catchphrases, though! I'm thinking "A thousand points of light" right now, but that was his daddy!

kristen spina said...

I'm so glad things are looking up. And about those lattes...have you looked into the Tassimo? Not to be too commercial, but I love ours. No more $6 coffees for me and on those days when you need a fix, but you never got out of your pajamas...well, just stop by your kitchen for a delicious brew.

Laura said...

Kristen, not to worry - I have an espresso machine I love as much as my husband. OK, just a tiny bit less love for Sirius, my machine. Sirius requires a tiny bit more maintenance than Hubby - I have to descale one of them soon, and get a new water filter, too. I just upped his temperature, so I can nurse my double shot lattes longer.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Screw the food! Damn the doors! Poop on the toilet!!!! Yahoo! Congrats, H-man! And Lawrer.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online