Thursday, November 01, 2007

We Survived Satan's Day of Play!

Hutton in the top half of his costume, or a pirate on casual Friday
Playing bingo at school
Halloween still life with gluten, corn and dairy free rice crispy treats
Cheeky little monkey Harrison
Halloween has come and gone, and we're all here and mostly OK! The title of my post is in reference to a book my BFF shared with me (quite sarcastically mind you!) entitled, "Mommy, Why Don't We Celebrate Halloween? BFF had bought a bunch of Halloween books on ebay, and this little gem was included. I found the book quite amusing, yet horrifying, in that some Christians actually believe Halloween is a devil worship festival and not a fun cultural fall fest handed down by those of Celtic/Irish descent. Well, bring on the pagan ritual, I say!

The Halloween Party Dillemma -- see this post if you don't know what I'm talking about! I found a babysitter on Craigslist (note, the party was thankfully before this sad, sad story happened. Way to make it even harder for people to find babysitters, you crazy douchbag!). I had waited until the last minute, of course, as I think I was secretly trying to undermine myself finding a sitter. But, a week or so before, I started looking, and had about six people say no, so I did look! And it paid off - Sierra was wonderful with Hutton. At the party, there were some kids' activities set up downstairs, and a movie playing upstairs, but Hutton preferred mostly to play hide and seek - going between the same two spots with Sierra following after a few moments. I got to have two drinks and wear a stupid costume. Fun. Afterwards, though the party was fun, it wasn't all that exciting. I only knew a few people there, and after all the turmoil and second-guessing I went through, I don't know if it was really worth it! But I did get to focus some energy on costume-making, which is always fun. Here I am as Dora on Saturday night. I made Hubby dress as the man with the yellow hat from Curious George. And then, since I didn't get a chance to take his picture Saturday, I wore his costume last night for trick-or-treating. So, here I am in drag. Well, sort of. The pants from the costume are actually women's pants, as are the boots. You can't tell, but they're high heel boots ("Sexy boots!" as my BFF said) that a real man in a yellow hat wouldn't be caught dead in. Actually, the man with the yellow hat may prefer to wear women's boots in the comfort of his apartment, or house in the country, and I don't judge him for that. He does live with a monkey, after all!

6 comments:

AshleyLeo said...

OMG your costume is Faaan-tAStic. I can't decide between which I like best. Both are just hilarious! And clever. I think I like your expression best as Yellow Hat dude. Now we need to see one with you and Harrison to complete the story. ha ha

I'm glad Halloween is over, and glad you figured out what to do. Hey, better than another night of t.v., right?

And those treats look good - they look like they have a lot of "marshmallows". True? The more the better for my taste.

Sounds like Harrison had fun, you kinda had fun. And hubby? Who cares. just kiddin.

Unknown said...

I LOVE your costumes!!! You are aDORAble! hehehe

I'll get the kid's up soon too. Elias was a huge hit as Harry Potter. lol

Schmoop said...

The tykes are adorable and seeing you dressed like a man makes me wanna be gay. Cheers!!

Laura said...

Ashley - Harrison was too hyper to pin down for a picture with me, and my camera batteries were dead earlier, so I didn't get any good shots before hand. The treats are marshmallowy - or rather rice mellowy - but I think they're good! Yeah, we all had more fun on trick or treating night with my BFF and her kids than we did at the big party that Hubby attended with us. Halloween night, Hubby got to spend fixing our garage door opener. Fun!

Thanks, Allie! You rocked your bad-ass nun costume, too! Sorry, no puns for you - wait - you rule! Ok, that's a stretch, based on the ruler thing.

Matt-Man - Good thing I didn't wear the "Sexy Man with Yellow Hat costume" then -- big yellow hat, yellow hot pants and yellow bra. No, they don't make those, but I'm sure some woman out there would wear it if they did. I also neglected to sexy up the Dora costume. I guess I grew up in the 80s, in the era before the sexy costume came of age! Next year I'm all about the "Sexy Waste Management Worker" though!

Mom without a manual said...

I love the costumes!!!

Alijah Fitt said...

I love Halloween, Pagans Rule! and costumes hilarious. You really think the man in the yellow hat might be gay? After watching the movie I thought maybe, but not from the books.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online