Friday, February 02, 2007

One of Those Days

I woke up late, and scrambled to get the boys fed and myself dressed in time to get to ABA therapy on time. I was about 5 minutes late. Not too bad.

After a long discussion with the ABA consultant about Hutton's school situation (she observed him in class last week) we're going to go with the approach of my calling the Special Education Director of the school district, who also observed Hutton in class last week. Whatever the director wants to do, I'm going to push for it to be done as quickly as possible, then the ABA consultant can meet with teachers and come up with methods for them to use with Hutton. We'll see...

After that, we had lunch, then drove south to see Hutton's doctor to go over test results from his latest round of many, many tests of various bodily fluids. The results: Hutton has yeast (uggh), bacteria dysbiosis, and allergies to things I feared, namely corn. So, in addition to using various new supplements to fight yeast and help heal his gut, he's going on a yeast-free diet, as well as cutting corn and eggs, which are in addition to the gluten and casein (basically wheat and dairy) he can't have, which we already have been working on. The yeast-free diet wipes out the other mainstays of Hutton's diet - fruit, and condiments or sauces that make it possible for him to eat the meats I give him. He loves honey on his chicken nuggets. Well, both of those are out - I haven't found any gluten and corn-free nuggets, and I've heard that they're very difficult to make from scratch (well, if you want them to be edible, that is). The honey feeds yeast. Hotdogs? He likes the nitrate-free hotdogs, but loves them with ketchup. We'll see if he'll still eat them, condiment-free. They have gluten-free waffles Hutton likes, but will he eat them without syrup? We'll see! If not, he can have bacon. He will eat some salad, but he's never had it sans dressing. He does like carrots. So, we can feed him all the carrots, potatoes and meat he'll eat. Yee-haw.

Basically, I'm wallowing in self-pity because this means no more eating out for four months. Eating out is the highlight of my weekend. Oh well. I'll have plenty of time now to enjoy cooking in the kitchen. Wait, I hate cooking. The only things I like to cook are cookies and other things Hutton won't be able to eat. I also hate going to the grocery store, which will now be a much more frequent occurrence, since Hutton will essentially be on a cave-man diet of fresh vegetables and meat for the next four months. Did I mention I hate cooking? So, if Hutton's going to be on the diet, the rest of us will, too, cause I sure as hell am not going to make two of every meal for four months.

Hutton also has some mercury, arsenic and lead according to the special porphyrins test we did. So, after four months of yeast-killing and gut-healing, we'll re-test and then do some chelation.

Sigh. One day at a time, right?

Oh, and Sally, the evil bitch sweet dog had gone several days without any accidents, so I put the rugs back down. See, she slides all over the hardwood floors when there are no rugs to provide traction, since her hind legs are still a bit unstable, so I put the rugs (or what's left of them, after being washed a hundred times) back down. Tonight as I was stressing out about Hutton while making a meal we won't be able to eat again for the next several months (a last supper, if you will) I noticed one of the rugs was reflecting the light in a peculiar way. Because Sally had peed on it. Less than an hour after going outside to do her business. Of course, she managed to high-tail it up the stairs, part dragging her hindlegs, to get away from me and hide when she realized I was yelling, "Sally! Goddammit!" I half-carried/half dragged her downstairs and put her in her crate, then threw the rug in the wash. Deep breaths. Lots of deep breaths, Laura.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

Oh my god, Laura! That diet sounds like it will be REALLY hard to work around! I will keep my eye open for some recipes for you!

No corn?? Jesus... they put corn in EVERYTHING.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online