Monday, May 14, 2007

Mother's Day Funk

You may be able to guess from the title, that my Mother's Day was not all walks in the park with birds alighting on my fingers ala Snow White to wish my a lovely day.

Nope. Let's see, I started the day by getting up after Hutton came into the room asking for breakfast about 12 times. I fed the dogs, let them out, fed the cat, fed the boys, then made myself some coffee and oatmeal and headed upstairs to catch up on some email and file some mystery shopping reports. Hubby was still asleep. Yes, I was cursing him under my breath, but then again, I'm not his mother. He shouldn't have to get me anything for Mother's Day. Except that he should get me something in the guise that it's from his two sons, the ones I popped out in record time in intense, painful deliveries. No, it's OK, really.

Around eleven, Harrison came in holding a card. It was a cute card, signed by Hutton for both boys. Of course, I wanted to tell Hubby that he got me a very similar card for my birthday seven years ago. The birthday card featured a cat in a flower pot, and the inside read: "For your birthday, I grew you a cat!" The Mother's Day card featured a different picture on the front -- this time it was a kitten in a pot, and it said, "For your Mother's Day surprise, I grew you a cat." Still, a cute card and Hutton wrote "Love, Hutton Harrison" inside. So, I tried to be happy.

The funk part of my day was really just my being depressed about Saturday's big mishap. I had been doing so well being positive about Hutton's progress, and looking forward to his doctor appointment this Friday, when I hope we'll take the next step in his biomedical treatment for Autism -- chelation to get rid of all the heavy metals he has floating around in his body. But, after Saturday, the "positive wind" got knocked out of me, and I'm back to my cynical state, thinking about having a son who can never be let out of my sight, let alone function in the "neuro-typical" world.

So, after stewing most of the day, I decided to break out of my funk and took the boys shopping. Well, plant shopping. I really don't think shopping with boys in general does anything to break one out of funk. It can get you in a funk, though!

I drove to Costco, but they didn't have any fuchsia baskets left, so I headed to a local hardware store that has lots of plants, and Harrison and Hutton helped me load up the cart with flowering plants, a blueberry bush, a lilac, and the piece de resistance, a fountain, featuring a dog whose mouth opens and closes as the water pumps through. Hutton and Harrison both loved it, and I even got it for 10% off, since the display was the last one the store had.

Yes, for some reason, spending money always cheers me up. But, I wasn't as cheerful as I'd been Saturday morning, when I went out to do some solo mystery shopping, and while I was at the mall, picked up a cute blouse and pants for myself on sale. Nope, that Saturday afternoon event seemed to put the "shopping is fun!" cure-all into perspective for me.

After helping Hutton with his homework, and seeing how amazing he is at counting and writing numbers (he now knows how to count by fives up to 100!) I felt a lot better. Then I tried to get him to drink a supplement-laced chocolate banana smoothie with dinner, and when he refused, I was in an angry place. Oh well, the cycle continues.

Happy Mother's Day everyone!

4 comments:

Maddy said...

I often feel it's one step forward three steps back!
Very brave of you to go shopping!
cheers

Mom without a manual said...

Hang in there. The hype of mother's day just makes the downs feel more magnified. It sounds like you still had some great moments with the boys!

Schmoop said...

I hate it when people run out of fuschia!! Cheers Laura...

Melly said...

I TOTALLY know the funk feeling. QMan had his first (that I'm aware of) GFCF diet infraction this week...that led to two more infractions. It's been a whopper of a week.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online