Thursday, May 17, 2007

Still Bitchy, But Better

Yep, I'm still in a not-so-good place due to Saturday's hi-jinks, followed by two repeat performances on Monday and Wednesday. The repeats were Hutton running out of the driveway into the street, followed closely by screaming Harrison, so I was able to follow the shouts easily and get the boys back in the yard before they wandered far. And our street is quiet, with mostly horse traffic from the stable across the street, which helps keep the cars from going too fast, but still, by the third elopement incident in a week, I was getting really tired of telling Hutton NOT to leave the driveway, NOT to run off without Mommy, etc. After yesterday's performance, I was in a very bad mood, jumping to woe-is-me conclusions that I wouldn't be able to go outside with the boys anymore, since Hutton won't stay in yard. I made both boys go inside and sit in time-outs while I called my BFF to rage and vent on the phone as she attempted to talk me down. (Thanks, Liz!)

Anyway, today I've been outside with Harrison a bit, and have lots more yard work to do. I really enjoy gardening in the spring and summer, and the thought of not doing it because Hutton likes to run...well, it's just NOT an option! His speech therapist brought up a tracking anklet. That's an idea. Or, I could just rig the invisible fence we use for the dogs to child levels. All right, I won't have it shock Hutton. Maybe just beep loudly and have my voice yelling, "DO NOT LEAVE THE YARD!" every time he crosses the boundary line? Hmmm....

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today, while at the speech therapy office, I was reading a magazine in the waiting room, and turned to a double spread drug informational ad. Don't you love those? The first page is the photo of the happy couple, family, older couple, etc. enjoying life now that they have whatever drug is being advertised, then you turn the page and have at least one page, if not two, of extremely small print listing all the side effects and contraindications of the drug.

As I was flipping through, the words CHINESE HAMSTER OVARY caught my eye. It was just bizarre. It wasn't in bold or anything, and you know how small that type is, but my brain just knew those words were very important. I really had no idea how important hamster ovaries are to drug research, let alone those of the poor little Chinese hamsters.

Here's to you, Chinese hamsters and your tiny little drugged ovaries!

2 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

Well, I have to wonder if the drug is to "enhance" the boy "chinese hamsters" performance...in that case their ovaries should be fine. Things must be different in china?

Or is it that Chinese Hamster Ovaries were used in the making of this product. In that case, I wonder if this is yet another job that our beloved administration has shipped overseas?

Schmoop said...

I have always wondered what was the purpose for Chinese Hamsters. Now I know, thanks!!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online