Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Time to Post

Haven't done that yet this week. Hmm. Guess I've been "busy" or something.

This week, Harrison and I have checked out a couple of preschools for next fall. This is something good mothers who are top of things did in February. Oh well. It's better that Harrison finds out sooner rather than later that his Mommy is a Slacker. I signed him up for a good "safety school" and have him on the wait list at the school I liked best so far. If nothing else, the safety school has a nice playground. Tomorrow we visit another school, and then I'll decide if the third school is worth paying another $50 or so to be waitlisted for.

This morning Hutton had his ABA meeting at the UW, instead of regular time of Friday morning. Wednesday morning was twice as sucktastic, as I had to get his lunch and school snack packed this morning as we were going to go straight to school after ABA. So, as I scrambled around getting lunch ready, and tried to remember to bring insurance forms to be signed, the notebook I always forget, etc., time was slipping away. Got in the car five minutes late. Listened to the story of a broken water main by the UW on the radio. Cursing under my breath that this would mean worse traffic on the other end of the lake. Of course, traffic was bad on the homeside as well. Finally got to the UW, just five minutes late, and see the horrific sign, "S1 Parking is FULL." I literally screamed. S1 Parking is the lot that is closest to the ABA clinic. I had no idea where to park. There was a sign redirecting me, and I pulled into a garage that was for faculty only. Reverse, search for more parking signs. After driving three blocks away from the ABA clinic, I saw a sign for hospital parking. Great. Ten minutes later we're in the hospital, trying to figure the best way to get on the south side where the ABA clinic is. Fortunately the guy at the front desk gave us easy directions and we managed the long walk through the hospital, down lots of steps through the "Garden Haven" and across the S1 parking lot (DAMN YOU!) in not too much time. We arrived in our meeting room a mere thirty minutes late, and by then the steam has managed to escape through my ears in several sharp bursts of anger, in which I would follow my howls with, "Hutton, I'm not angry at you. I'm angry at the SITUATION." I did lots of mumbling to myself about how much I hate the UW, hate paying $11 for parking when the lot isn't full, hate having to walk through the smurfing hospital, hate having to go to the UW every smurfing week for ABA or "Social Group" (yeah, we get to go to the UW again on Friday. Yippee! Can't wait to see if S1 parking is full!), hate, hate, hate.

After the meeting, my "shortcut" through the hospital added another five minutes or so to our already too short time to get Hutton to school. We were only ten minutes late for that, though. I got a tardy slip in the office (glad I don't need one of those for everything else I'm late for!) and apologized to his teacher in person for Hutton's peeing in the playground sandbox yesterday. She was actually nice and made a joke about her own boys getting in trouble for peeing outside at a neighbor's house. Guess being male and having the ability to pee anywhere isn't always an advantage in the socially acceptable realm of life. (But it helps if you're a trucker, I hear.)

So, now I'm home and using the magical PBS Kids to entertain Harrison while I get paper work sorted and try to figure out whether $700 to clean the roof is worth it. What's the worse that can happen? Our roof rots, leaks, falls apart and everything in the house is ruined? Hmm, probably need to get the roof cleaned. Ahh, I love being a housewife!

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Uh oh, Laura! Lucas still isn't signed up. Matt's recent hand slice in the table saw hasn't exactly enabled his searching....and I'm trying not to enable by doing it all myself. So, wish us luck! We might be asking you for your safety school spot if we don't get our acts together SOON!

Anonymous said...

Oh yeah - PBS Kids! Or Sprout, depends on your calbe/satellite company. 23/7 PBS kids programming. So nice not to have to pay $15 an hour for babysitting! LOL!

Laura said...

Jennifer - OUCH! That's doesn't sound like fun for Matt! Since you're working, I think that's a good excuse for not being on the ball for preschool.

Kim - I love Sprout! We have that on satellite, which I turn on if the two PBS stations aren't showing kids stuff, or if they have on annoying kids programming -- Barney! Caillou! Just typing those makes my skin crawl. Actually, I haven't heard Caillou's whiny voice on TV in a long time, so maybe it's only on Noggin, which we don't really watch much. I've been known to take "Curious George" naps on the couch while the boys watch. TV is the best free babysitter I've found!

Schmoop said...

Ha...I mentioned my peeing habits in my post today!! Have a great weekend Laura, and shine those shingles.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online