Saturday, October 21, 2006

Flags of Our Fathers


Another serious post on the blog. Can't be all sweetness and light all the time, kids!

This is NOT a review of the movie that's currently out. Remember, I have kids and no babysitter, so I don't get to see R-rated movies in the theater. (Unlike the Gouda, I don't go to movies by myself. It's something I should try in the future, though!) Oh well, it will be on DVD in a year or so, right? The movie is based on a book written by James Bradley, the son of John Bradley, one of the men who raised the flag atop Mt. Suribachi on Iwo Jima. We are friends with one of John Bradley's grandsons, who got to attend this movie premiere.

Hubby sent me this link about our friend's grandfather, and I found it very interesting. The last section, "Post-war Life," is very sad, and I'm still upset by the part about Bradley's friend, Ralph "Iggy" Ignatowski.

Jeez, war sucks. I can imagine how f'ed up it makes you. I never heard any stories from my grandfathers, who both served in WWII, in the army and navy, but I'm sure they had some horrifying ones. Probably not something they'd share with a young granddaughter, which I was when they were still alive.

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm hoping I'll have time to see this over the weekend. War is such a tragic thing, indeed. Ken's grandfather served and to this day never speaks about it either...

I imagine that many of the men coming home from the Middle East are feeling the same way.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online