Monday, October 30, 2006

S.A.D.

It's only the second day of Standard Time, and I'm already feeling S.A.D. You know, Seasonal Affective Disorder.

I'm not really feeling depressed. Well, just a little. Let's see, it's gray, the leaves are all falling off the trees and making a big wet mess of our driveway, (which is actually very pretty if you're not S.A.D.), and I want to eat chocolate chip cookies and drink coffee all day, since I can't go back to bed. Really, it's not that different from most other parts of the year, but as I look out the window at the coming darkness (it's only 4:30!) I don't get a second wind like I do in the summer, when I realize I have several hours of light left to do things. When it's dark out, I don't want to go run errands. I don't want to go to the grocery store to get that one forgotten ingredient for dinner tonight. No, I want to stay home, preferably on the couch, under a blanket, watching some good TV and knitting.

Fortunately, I'm signed up for indoor soccer for the winter season, which starts Wednesday, so that will force me to leave the house for exercise, at night no less.

Another thing that has nothing to do with the end of daylight savings time, but depresses me, is that my face has broken out like a pizza-faced 15-year-old boy. I didn't have skin this bad when I was a 15 year old (no, I was a girl then, too. Boys just look more pizza-faced as teens, because they don't wear makeup to cover the zits.) So, tomorrow when I wake up, it will still be dark out, I'll have zits all over my face (I've tried a zillion masks over the past two days; tomorrow I may resort to a Halloween mask, since it will be Halloween after all) and the parts that aren't zitty will be pale. I better go sit under some full spectrum lighting for a while to cheer myself up. Or just go sleep on the couch.

Oh, and even the "Famous sufferers of SAD" are SAD, meaning pathetic. From Wikipedia:


Famous sufferers of SAD include Miriam Taffel, renowned for her work in the fields of psychology and intelligent systems.

Jillian Barberie of Good Day L.A. has mentioned during the program that she suffered from SAD when she lived in Ontario, Canada.

Johnny Briggs, who played Mike Baldwin in Coronation Street, also suffers from SAD.

Musician Rick Strom has credited his most creative periods to SAD.

Norman E. Rosenthal, MD, first researcher into the effect of light upon mood.

Natalie Imbruglia, a famous Australian singer, suffered from SAD during a longer stay in London, England.


I only know the "famous" Natalie Imbruglia, though it's quite heartbreaking that the guy who played Mike on Coronation Street suffers as I do. Not that I've ever seen Coronation Street. It sounds delightfully British.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Well, at least we won't suffer alone, my dear. I combat sad with my trusty Apollo Sun Touch light with negative ion emitter. I happen to believe that having it on my desk, placed strategically so that it shines its brilliance as I embark upon my never-ending quest to conquer my latest Mahjong game, has saved me from murdering people on at least 3 dozen occasions.

Schmoop said...

I too suffer from SAD; however my affliction is Sexual Addiction Disorder.

Kristen said...

When I lived in Chicago and lost the sun for months at a time, I think I had SAD too. In Oklahoma, the sun comes and goes more frequently, even in winter, and I can keep a better handle on it.

Hang in there, Laura. The night exercise will help, I bet...

Lisa said...

Coronation Street is indeed a British institutional soap but Mike died in Corrie a few months ago, bless..

One interesting point is the actor that played him always looked tanned - now I know why..

Laura said...

Oh no! Now I feel bad about Mike. At least he was getting some good light exposure to keep himself from being SAD.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online