Monday, October 16, 2006

Now I'm Really Feeling Better

Thanks to all my loyal readers for your thoughtful comments on my last two "Autism Funk" posts. I am feeling a lot better today! Your comments are one reason. This is another:

Hutton's preschool teacher called me this morning. She taught him for two years at his special education preschool. She's a very straightforward but easy-going woman, and Hutton did wonderfully in her class. He wasn't perfect all the time, but his teacher knew how to deal with him and got him to behave in class. Apparently, Hutton's Kindergarten teacher has contacted his preschool teacher A LOT this year. It boils down to, Kindergarten teacher (KT) wants to give Hutton back to Preschool teacher (PT). PT says, "No thanks, lady, that's not how it works. He did fine in my class, now he's ready for Kindergarten. That's your territory. You need to figure out to get the boy to behave."

PT told me that she explicitly told KT how to handle Hutton. That Hutton would test her, and that KT needs to just "get in Hutton's face, and tell him how he is expected to behave." That may sound a bit crazy to you readers, but believe me, it's not. That's what works with Hutton -- getting in his face. PT also understood Hutton's sensory issues -- he loves to smell everything and is usually tempted to eat things he shouldn't that smell good, like glue or playdoh, and he just gets a little too "into" smelly handsoaps, etc. So far, KT has written 3 notes about Hutton eating glue or playdoh, smearing handsoap all over his hair and the bathroom, and smearing peanut butter on himself if I send that as a snack. So, you'd think a teacher who deals with special education kids would have dealt with a child with sensory issues before, but I guess Hutton is just that extra special special kid.

But, after talking to PT, I now feel better about his placement in Kindergarten. PT told me the Transition Kindergarten is exactly where Hutton needs to be. The local contained class is mostly non-verbal kids, and Hutton will not have nearly enough stimulation there. And that Hutton going back to preschool isn't the right choice, either. He's in Kindergarten because he's ready for it. He's more than prepared academically, and KT just needs to get Hutton to behave. PT and I both agreed that Hutton figured out pretty quickly that he could get away with horrible behavior in Kindergarten, because the KT didn't handle it right off the bat.

I feel much better now about Hutton, and about my choice to put him in Kindergarten. PT told me to call her whenever I need to vent, ask questions, or anything at all, which was great. It's always good to have someone who understands the system and who knows Hutton to have my back. Word.

7 comments:

Schmoop said...

My first smile of the day...that's great.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Hi, Law-rer. My Bella did a Post Graduate Preschool year -- and an extra ESY summer. Does this KT have a good handle on his needs? Are there PECS all over the room, is every bit of his day visually available to him with ample prep time and allowing for sensory breaks? All of these things have help my 3 ASD beauties to manage pretty darn well in school.

If you want the rest of my Hair Care essay (I think you'll like it, as I go into my utter envy of the Dorothy Hamill and my "reverse perm" catastrophe. I'm not sure how to email you -- and I don't post my email on my blog! Hmmmm.

KRS....

Laura said...

Matt-Man - Ahh, thanks!

Kim - The problem is this is only the second year Hutton's teacher has been doing this "transition kindergarten." It's supposed to be the in between class - not mainstream, but not contained. I don't think she's had any kids who have been challenging her, yet. Hutton is definitely challenging, at times. They do have a very good schedule, PECs everywhere, but it's more work-focused than preschool was, and if Hutton can find a way to get out of working, he'll go for it! His ABA consultant is going to sit in on his class Thursday, so I hope she can come up with tips for us, the teacher and aide.

I posted my email on your blog in the comment section, but here it is again: laura @ huttonsplace.com

Law-rer

Arwen said...

If it is any consolation, we had a very similar conversation with our daughter's kindergarten teacher, and Noodle is a 'normal' kid in a 'normal' classroom.

Anonymous said...

Laura, I have always found strenth in you calm, intelligent and pragmatic approach to Hutton and autism. Often I forget that he can be very challenging (the image of a peanut butter covered Hutton brought a smile to my face, but I digress).
I am so glad that the PT teacher has Hutton's back, and the ABA people. You deserve to cry, and you deserve to laugh too.
I remember driving Colin home from his physio therapy, before we had any idea if he would regain function in his arm, or if he had brain damage, and I would cry all the way home esp if that Hubastang (sp) song came on "I'm sorry that I hurt you" . . . we love them so much, its hard to keep the emotions in check.

Love ya

Mo and The Purries said...

I think the world needs more teachers like PT.
Glad she has your back.

Unknown said...

Well, if KT needed someone to sharpen her skills and reaffirm that this is not regular kindergarden, she's certainly got it! I really hope that she can learn to cope a little better.

Law-er. That's cute. LOL

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online