Sunday, March 25, 2007

A Peek into My World

This morning, after I got my lazy body out of bed, I said "Good morning!" to Hutton and he ran downstairs to use the potty and get dressed. That's one of his routines we're trying to change. He always gets up, comes upstairs to play, then goes to use the potty and get dressed after Hubby or I remind him.

Anyway, after he dressed himself, he came into the kitchen and asked for cereal, or more specifically, Koala Crisp and Puffins. I put the two cereals in his bowl, along with almond milk, and he happily ate his cereal. (Harrison was already finished, as Hubby had given him his cereal a little earlier.) While Hutton ate his breakfast, I poured him a cup of orange juice, which I laced with a few drops of grapefruit seed extract, to kill yeast. I got out all of the chewable supplements Hutton will eat with no problems - two different enzymes, a multivitamin, a B12 tablet, a DMG tablet, four omega 3 capsules - and put them on the table. I then decided instead of adding more supplements to his juice, I'd put them in a small bowl of applesauce. Hutton had readily taken the supplement laced applesauce the other day, so it should work again. I put a few spoonfuls of applesauce in the bowl, opened a capsule of probiotics and added that, along with two "bio-inflammatory" powders to help with his "leaky gut" and then a capsule of folinic acid, which helps the body handle the B vitamins. I mixed them together and walked over to Hutton.

"Here buddy! Do you want some applesauce?" Suspicious look from Hutton. "It's applesauce. You've had it before." More "I don't trust you or want that" look from Hutton.

"Here, take one bite. It has your supplements in it, but you had some the other day. Remember?"
"No!"
"Please!"
"No! No applesauce! Want more cereal!"
"You can have more cereal if you just have two bites of applesauce."
"No, want Puffins! No applesauce!"
"Please, sweetie, it's just two bites worth of applesauce."
"No!"

After a few more attempts, Nice Mommy was fading quickly. Bitch Mommy was awaiting her grand entrance.

"Hutton, if you don't eat your applesauce, you can't have any more cereal."

Guess the result of that.

"Hutton, if you don't eat your applesauce, you're not going to get to play any Xbox today!"

Hmm, that didn't work either.

"Hutton, you MUST eat this applesauce! The probiotic capsule alone is worth at least $1!"

Yeah, that sure worked.

"Hutton, Mommy is getting angry!" (Unfortunately, Hutton isn't familiar with the Incredible Hulk, and doesn't realize that he wouldn't like me when I'm angry.)

"Hutton, Mommy really doesn't like having to force you to eat this! Do you realize how hard it is for me to do this every day? Struggle with you to get you to take your supplements so your tummy will get better and you won't have to be on this restricted diet forever?"

Strangely enough, my little soliloquies on Mommy Stress, Mommy Anger, and Mommy Guilt went nowhere. Nor did my near-tears pleas for him to take his supplements.

Back to Angry Mommy. "Hutton, you're NOT leaving the table until you eat this applesauce! I'm NOT giving in. This is important!"

Brief break for me to go change Harrison's diaper.

"Hutton, will you eat it if I add some sugar?" Think Mary Poppins. Just a spoonful of sugar helps the supplements go down. Added a spoonful of brown sugar. No go.

"Hutton do you want some sunflower seed butter?" This at least gets a, "Yes!" from the angry boy. Then he realizes it's still the same blue bowl with the cursed applesauce in it, just some added sunflower seed butter. (This is one of the substitutes we use for peanut butter, and it's pretty darn good, if you ask me!)

"No!"
"Please, sweetie!"

Finally, after (how long has it been? I don't know, it seems like hours, but the sun is still shining) X amount of time, I try the "Mean Mommy gives herself what Hutton wants" approach. "Well, I'm going to have some Puffins. Yummy!" As Hutton looks at me like I'm the worst Mommy ever (yes, I already know I am), a brilliant idea pops into my head.

"OK, Hutton, you can have some Puffins. Give me your bowl." I add a handful of Puffins, smearing them as best as possible with the now disgusting supplement strewn applesauce, brown sugar, cinnamon and sunflower seed butter mixture.

And....he....eats....them!

"Can I have more please?"

Hallelujah! I add a few more, smearing what's left of the brown sauce on them. He finishes and happily says, "Let's go upstairs!"

Of course, if I try to get him to eat Puffins smeared with random crap tomorrow he will probably not want to even touch it.

UPDATE: I got Hutton to take a spoonful of sunflower seed butter with a half teaspoon of "Yeast Aid" powder mixed in this afternoon. Woohoo! Yeast Aid smells nasty, so I'm sure it doesn't taste much better.

7 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

I love it! I hate the supplement dance as well. Typically I put it in a sippy cup with juice. I know the sugar and all that but he tends to drink it if it is his favorite fruit punch.

Unfortunately, this is working less and less. Sometimes I think we dump out more than he drinks. I am trying to work on the swallowing pills but we are getting nowhere!

Laura said...

Yeah, the juice works some of the time, but most of the time there's a lot of juice (with a lot of supplements!) left in the cup after breakfast, and after I refrigerate it so many times throughout the day, I throw it out, sure that the longer the supplements intermingle, the worse they taste. For a while I could put ANYTHING in a smoothie and he'd drink it. Those days are gone, sadly. Guess he had one too many smoothies that tasted like saccromyces boulardii.

AshleyLeo said...

Go Laura, you clever girl!
Lately, banana smoothies are the ticket. Gotta ride it while it lasts...I'll have to remember your apple sauce for when my time is up!

FYI did you see that Coromega came out with a new hmm...tasty, "flavor"? Lime something or another. My HFS gave Leo a sample and he said it's better than the orange. Leo will have to wait till we run out of orange!

Anonymous said...

Hi, Laura, how can you tell which supplement is working when you give a number of different kinds at once? I realize that Hutton is NOT an science experiment, I just want to know more . . .

Clara

Carmen San Diego said...

Hey are you finding that these supplements are workng for him. I too am on DMG and a few enzymes and B12 and other types of natural medicines since Oct. And as much as I think I have improved, I do 't know if its actually my hopefullness or actually working.

Laura said...

Clara - I try to just add one thing at at time - do "low and slow" to start, then gradually increase. I try to only add one new thing for a week or longer, but we've been doing supplements for such a long time (3 years!) so we've had lots of time to add things, change things (DMG vs. TMG - Hutton really hated the TMG, so I figured I'd see if the DMG is better. Too soon to tell). A lot of stuff I can't really tell, or it will be subtle. I've noticed a big difference from the diet, so that gives me the strength to carry on with it! Some things I can't tell, but when we have him retested in a few months, the test results should reveal if anything is going on - gut healing, yeast killing, etc.

Carmen - A lot of the stuff is hard to tell, since we're trying to figure if they're working by looking at Hutton. Though there's not as much chance of placebo effect, since he's not going to make up good results, it's also harder to tell if things work, since the results can be subtle! If he were to come up and say, "Hey Mom, I need some more of the pink pills. They make me feel clear headed and happy!" that would be great, but unfortunately that hasn't happened. Usually if there's not a bad result of any sort, I'll keep whatever supplement it is. Some I phase out, and if I still can't tell a difference, I'll leave them out for a while, then try reintroducing them.

A lot of it involves my hopefulness that they're working, so I know why you'd feel that way, too, Carmen!

Schmoop said...

Part of that reminded of the song "The Wall" "If you dont finish your meat, you cant have pudding. How can you have any pudding if dont eat your meat?"

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online