Wednesday, March 29, 2006

Hey, I'm as lazy as the next parent out there, but this is ridiculous!

I bring the ultimate in baby care - the bib-feeder!

I saw both sides of the issue, and wasn't too worked up about this convenience item for easier bottle-propping so you don't have to actually help your baby eat (man, when are they going to come out with babies that can hold their own bottles? Come on, babies, evolve already!). Lazy, but there are times when a frazzled mom or dad needs to have a few seconds to maybe make dinner, and if your baby is throwing his or her bottle on the floor constantly, that will make you want to tear your hair out. (Of course, I say this playing Devil's Advocate, as I'm a holier-than-thou extended breastfeeder whose baby never drank from a bottle. Yes, my nipples are raw from those new incisors coming in, but I'm Granola Queen, dammit!)

But then I read further.

Here's a press release the inventor of this contraption sent out: (and I got this from another website, so I don't know if this is really true, and it has some typos, which is usually suspect, so take this with a grain of salt!)

My vision I believe is God given. I would like the company to provide a service to working Moms, Mom’s who have more then one child who are in multi-task situations, and assist teaching babies how to hold their bottle or sippy cup. This is the business end." OK, I'm going with you. I feel you. The misused apostrophe to make a plural "moms" makes my head spin around, but I'm with you, still.

It continues: "Mostly, in my heart Bibfeeder, is to be a blessing to starving children of the world and to help the missionaries spread the gospel of Jesus Christ who is my personal Lord and Savior. I believe that it is God that gives us gifts, inventions and talents and it is up to us to choose whether we will gloriy [sic] him or not. I choose for the Bibfeeder to be a blessing to the Kingdom of Heaven and to tell starving people, not only starving for food, but also spiritually. The answer is the good news of Jesus Christ”.

Huh. Say what? This bottle propping contraption is all about Jesus? Wait, now. Helping starving people? The same people who, say, are in third world countries and given free formula by "helpful" giant companies like Nestle, then their breastmilk dries up and they can't afford to feed their babies anymore because they can't buy more formula? Those starving people? Well, yep, this will definitely help them! Ok, I'll admit I'm getting sidetracked here.

The company does say on the bibfeeder website that a portion of your purchase price goes to feed starving children through Life Outreach International. That's good. Of course, then I think in my cynical Atheist way that the folks at LOI probably force the starving children to hear the word of God before they're given their bowl of soup. But hey, it's not like I'm helping end world hunger! I'm just sitting on my butt enjoying a latte.

4 comments:

Jennifer said...

Oh gosh--what will come up next? Did you see my earlier post where I linked to the spa tub? Put it with the bibfeeder and it can be like a baptism! (Spoken with all the cynicism a truly religious person can pack! :)

Laura said...

Jennifer, I did see the spa tub! I'll be getting that for the next baby born to a friend. Oh wait, maybe not. And I appreciate you for being a truly religious person! I'm definitely a tolerant atheist, and you've never reminded me of Jerry Falwell or Pat Robertson. :)

Laura said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

Laura- that reminds me of something I saw a few years ago.

The Podee

Good Lord!!

No pun intended. ;)

As someone who bottlefed two kids who were 18 months apart, I've had to do a lot of multitasking, but I'v never in my life thought of using such devices. Ridiculous.

I can't comment any better than you have on the rest of it, but suffice to say, I was laughing my ass off. LOL

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online