Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Morgen's Movie Meme, Oh My!

I made the mistake had the great pleasure of commenting on Morgen's blog today, and was tagged with his very own movie meme.

So, here you go. And, Allie and Matt-Man, Morgen told me that you two are next. I must do what my master bids me! Get to work and post back in my comments when you've done your work. Matt-Man, I think I'm just reminding you of what you already know, right?

1. The last movie you saw in a theatre, and current-release movie you still want to see. Uh, I saw part of Cars this summer with my sister and her younger son and my boys. We left halfway through because 2 out of 3 children were bored, and 2 out of 2 adults, as well. I'm sure it will be fine on DVD when we can skip the boring parts! Hard to watch a movie when your children are walking up and down the steps a million times. The current release is hard. I don't really know anything about the newer films out. Once I stopped subscribing to EW and had kids, I seemed to lose track of movies. Based on what's playing at my local theaters, I'd probably go for Little Miss Sunshine. But, whenever I think about going to the theater and realize that for what I pay for my tickets and a small drink I could rent a lot of movies, or buy them, or get them off of Peerflix, I usually decide to wait for the DVD.

2. The last movie you rented/purchased for home viewing.
V for Vendetta. I haven't watched it yet. I got it off of Peerflix, which I joined a week ago. So far I like Peerflix, but if you want to keep a DVD, it seems a shame to not have the original case and artwork.

3. A movie that made you laugh out loud.
The last one I can think of is The 40-Year-Old-Virgin. I always think of the line, "If I hear 'Yah Mo B There' one more time..." and chuckle.

4. A movie that made you cry.
There are plenty of these! The first one that comes to mind is the obvious Steel Magnolias. That and Forest Gump are some real snot-inducing movies, though there are lots more. Though I'm not as bad as my high school bud, Sharling, who cried during Bird on a Wire. My friend Alex and I enjoyed ribbing her about that for a long time afterward.

5. A movie that was a darling of the critics, but you didn't think lived up to the hype.
Lost in Translation.
Yeah, I know. I'm a Philistine. But Hubby and I just kept exchanging "the look" during this one. The look meaning, "What the hell? Why is this boring-ass movie so popular and beloved?" I mean, even Hubby, who LOVES Bill Murray didn't like him in this. It started out cute with the Japanese beer commercial part, but lost steam fast.

6. A movie that you thought was better than the critics.
This is hard because I never read movie reviews anymore. Allie's excluded, of course. Hmm, how about Mr. and Mrs. Smith. I watched it the other day and found it highly entertaining. I'm sure it didn't win over many critics, though, and got lots of Brad and Angie hate going since it broke up Brad and Jen.

7. Favorite animated movie. Another hard one, since 90 percent of what I watch now is animated. I think I'll go for Toy Story, just because it was such a huge thing when it came out, and I can still watch it and enjoy it, even though I've seen it many, many times.

8. Favorite Disney Villain.
I'll agree with Morgen here and go for Ursula from The Little Mermaid. I love all of her scenes, though her final moment seems very painful.

9. Favorite movie musical.
I'll go with The Sound of Music. I didn't see this until I was 11 or 12, but I was spellbound by it. I loved the scenery, the songs, the story, and I still do. When I first saw it, I left my neighbor's house with a crush on Nazi Rolf, Friedrich AND Captain von Trapp. Now I'd say I really only like Captain von Trapp. Edit: Also a big Singing in the Rain fan. Oh, and A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum. Haven't watched that one in a while.

10. Favorite movies of all-time (up to five).
Hard, hard, hard! I have no memory anymore, you know!
The Princess Bride - great lines, Cary Elwes looking yummy, Princess Buttercup...I still get teary when I think of the last scene, when the grandfather leaves and says, "As you wish."

Gone With the Wind
Love the actors and actresses in this, and seeing Scarlett develop a sort of soul.

Stand By Me I LOVED this movie as a 12 and 13 year old, and still think that I'd love it today, though I haven't seen it in a while. I used to "watch" it scrambled on Pay Per View when I wasn't watching it at my friend Abi's house on video. I still remember a few lines: "Shut up!" "I don't shut up, I grow up, and when I look at you I throw up." "And then your mother goes around the corner and she licks it up!" That exchange, plus the classic, "Suck my fat one, you cheap, dimestore hood!" That said, this movie still makes me tear up, too, when I recall the final scene.

EDIT: Remembered two more:

Pulp Fiction
Another great film with wonderful lines, characters, violence, humor, dancing...everything you can ask for in a movie.

A Room with a View Ah, this makes me swoon, thinking of George kissing Lucy in the field. Though, The Last of the Mohicans almost makes the top 5. Daniel Day-Lewis makes me feel all funny, like when I used to climb the rope in gym class [yes, I was only girl who could climb the rope in gym class. This is spite of having to take COPE class/remedial PE]. Beautiful scenery in both of these, too.

*** Tag five bloggers to answer the movie meme:
Uh, not so much. Other bloggers don't usually play along with me. Could be because only 2 or 3 other bloggers ever stop by. Whine: I just want to be popular! Please come visit every once in a while. Sob, sob. No, I'll be OK.


Tagees: when you've completed your answers on your blog, come back here & leave a comment so we can all check out your movie picks! And when you post the meme on your site, include a link to MORGEN. Thanks!

5 comments:

Kristen said...

Little Miss Sunshine is AWESOME. We saw it a few weeks ago and loved it. I liked V for Vendetta, too.

And The Princess Bride would be in top list, too - god, there are so many great lines: "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Schmoop said...

New Site Looks Fantastic, Laura!! "To the Pain!!!"

Unknown said...

Nice new template, Laura! I filled out the meme too. :)

Unknown said...

Oh god, and that was the perfect line from 40-Year Old Virgin. I absolutely LOVE that movie.

Laura said...

Allie, love your answers! You've made me want to go rent lots of movies to watch again!

Glad you all like the new look. Now to try to get my links all in a row...

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online