Friday, January 05, 2007

Can I Retire from Stay At Home Momming?

Really, it's OK. I like being a Stay At Home Mom. Well, some of the time. It's not like there's another job I'd rather do that someone would hire me for. There are weeks like this one that just exhaust me, though. I guess being on vacation for two weeks was enough that I fell out of Stay At Home Shape. Who knew sitting around eating bonbons took energy? Ha.

Yesterday was OK - the end of the school week for Hutton, but he hit his speech therapist in the morning, then was "extra curious" when he came home from school -- a nice way of saying he was causing me to curse and pull my hair out. One moment he was playing nicely with blocks, so I left the room to decalcify my espresso machine (yeah, it's been a rough week!) and I heard the toilet flush. I went in to check on Hutton and make sure he was washing his hands, when I found him gazing into the freshly flushed toilet holding an empty plastic container that once held 26+ little foam letters. He looked at me with a face that says, "Yeah, I know I'm going to get in trouble, but that was sooo worth it!" After a long time out, while I finished the decalcifying, Hutton moved on other destructive activities I've blocked out. See, I'm perfect as a Stay At Home Mom - I can't even remember all the horrible things I have to put up with. I asked Hutton what he got in trouble for yesterday, to refresh my memory and perhaps reinforce things he's not supposed to do, and he told me some things he did at school -- ripping Tom and McKenzie's papers and eating playdough. Yeah, that's not what I wanted to know, but, uh, interesting.

Anyway, today was the big driving day - or Drive Away From Home Mom day. We drove to the UW for ABA therapy, then drove home for AIT therapy, then back to Seattle for craniosacral therapy, then home again for our second session of AIT therapy. None of this therapy is for me, but I'm feeling the need for therapy. The AIT is new for us -- auditory integration therapy that involves Hutton listening to stuff through headphones for a half hour, twice daily for the next 14 days. We'll see if it adds anything new to my exciting world.

Hubby is taking us out to dinner tonight, probably to make up for the fact that he's come home late every night this week. Yeah, I'm loving that he's back in an office job instead of working from home. That was total sarcasm for those who can't read my sarcastic type.

3 comments:

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

Are you using The Listening Program, Tomatis or Samonas? We have the TLP program at home. Good luck! Be warned, as it works sometimes the kids get wired and can't sleep then you have to back off a bit.

KIM

Schmoop said...

Your perserverance is wonderful Laura...Cheers

MOTHER OF MANY said...

I think the 'flushing of the letters' shows your child has a sense of humor.As a child I smeared my mother's pantry wall with red shoe polish and I thought it looked brilliant, my mother was less than impressed(I was always the artistic one-a little autistic too)!My six year old daughter Beauty threw one of our cordless phones out of the window into the front garden,we found it about 2 weeks later.
I'm with you on the SMILE OR NUKE IT FROM MEMORY
LOVE
Aly

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online