Wednesday, January 17, 2007

The Snow Turns to Slush

And on the sixth day, the snow clouds departed and the weather warmed a tiny bit, and the snow started to melt. And the bus came, and it was good.

Yep, I'm back to having only one rugrat to wrestle for 3 hours in the afternoon. Hallelujah! My morning still started out badly though. Today Fergus, the favorite son (dog) no more, puked all over the kitchen floor. Thanks, Ferg. After mopping that up, I called upstairs to Hutton to come get dressed. Hubby told me, "I don't think he feels well! He threw up on the carpet up here!" Uh, no. That would be more Fergus vomit.

Please, can I call a vomitorium moratorium on bodily fluids on my rugs and floors for a while?

Last night Hubby came upstairs before bed and said Sally was whimpering but it was because of the washing machine. "What are you washing?" I asked, as Hubby doesn't do laundry. "Sally peed on the rug," he said. "You mean the last rug that hadn't been peed on?" See, we have three rugs in the same pattern in the hall and kitchen downstairs. The first one was peed on a while back. Hubby washed it in the washing machine, and the underside shrunk up, but the top wool part stayed the same, so the rug wouldn't lie flat anymore. I cut up the under lining, and now it lies flat, but is really lumpy. Sally peed on the second of these rugs this weekend. Wash rug in machine, have it lumpy and bumpy. And repeat with the last of the rugs. For some reason, hearing about the last of the rugs getting ruined made me sad. I said, "Oh well, at least the rugs have lasted 8 years. That's a lot in a house of kids and pets." For some reason, Hubby took this as some kind of affront to him, and said, "Well, you can either have rugs or dogs. Which is it?" I just shrugged.

Don't worry, I'll have my rugs and the dogs that ruin them, too. I'll remind Hubby that if we can't afford to replace peed-out worn out rugs, we shouldn't be able to afford the nice office chair and handheld Dyson vacuum he just bought for his office, either.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today FedEx came by while I was outside with Sally. She barked, but I left her lying in the snow and told the FedEx guy she was incapacitated, so not to worry about her. (He had the "Oh yeah, it's that scary black dog who always barks at me" look.) He handed me a package addressed to Sally, of all things. Inside was a dog sling that my ever-so-thoughtful mother-in-law sent. Seriously, this woman is great. My mom pretends to care that Sally had surgery, but my MIL actually does care, as she has pets. The sling is so much easier to use than a towel to help support a 60-pound dog! I strapped it on Sally immediately, and could help her walk with just one hand holding her up. If I had known a sling was that helpful, I would have bought one before Sally even came home. The highlight of my day so far!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Laura - again, I think we are living parallel lives. On our first visit to the in-laws, our dog peed, pooped and puked on three separate rugs. Now we just bring pictures of our four-legged family members. Sick pets generally follow Murphy's Law when selecting a spot to leave a steaming present - old ratty bathmat or new Persian carpet? Hmm, watch where you step on that carpet. Is Sally expected to regain the strength in her back legs? If not, just think of the bicep workout you'll get lifting her with the sling. Best of luck, Lisa

Laura said...

Lisa - Aren't dogs great with their thoughtfulness to pee/poop/vomit on the plushest surface available? Maybe they don't want their mess to spread out on a hardwood or tile floor, so they figure the nice rugs will absorb it better, like a fancy wool covered paper towel! Nah. Probably not.

Yep, I'm alternating arms so will be rocking the Popeye look soon. Sally is expected to regain strength, and does get going pretty well after a few minutes of walking, but at the start, her legs are like a rag doll's. She's getting good neck strength and her forelegs are almost back to normal. I don't think I can handle doing the paraplegic dog for too long, though!

Kristen said...

I'm so glad school is back in for Hutton! Bryce and Quinn ended up being out ALL WEEK... John is probably going nuts, though he seems to be holding up well.

How sweet of your MIL to send that sling. Poor little Sally, though.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online