Saturday, January 13, 2007

Pets Are Almost as Much Trouble as Kids

Almost. Today we picked Sally up from the pet hospital. She still can't walk on her own, but we figured she'd be happier at home and it wouldn't be that much trouble getting her outside to pee. Plus, getting her out today meant only about $4500 total for her surgery and stay, instead of adding more money for every day of vet checks, physical therapy, etc.

We got her bed set up downstairs with some pads for her to pee on. She pretty much crawled off the bed as soon as possible, and dragged herself across the floor to Hutton's room to be with us when we went in there to do Hutton's AIT session this afternoon. I thought that was cute until I noticed she'd peed on the carpet. Grr. I then set up the pet kennel with the top off, so she wouldn't feel closed off, but can't crawl around after us, peeing wherever she wants.

And the idea that it wouldn't be trouble to get her outside to pee -- that would be completely wrong. After the dogs ate dinner, I attempted to lift Sally out of her crate, and realized that she's pretty darn heavy. Bitch weighs 60 pounds. No, that's not nearly as much as what I weigh, but if I needed someone to carry me to a toilet, I could at least help support my weight by grabbing their neck or something. Strangely enough, Sally isn't much help. I tried a sling approach - putting a towel under her and pulling up on both ends. Once I got her out of her crate, she was able to help a little, lifting her feet so they wouldn't drag on the ground as I tugged her outside. We made it 5 feet from the front door onto the front walk, and I pretty much dropped her butt in the snow, while supporting her front half. Strangely enough, this wasn't Sally's idea of a relaxing good time, and she didn't relieve herself. So, after a few minutes of holding her up while she didn't pee or poop, I dragged her back inside, then yelled for Hubby to put her back in her crate. I got her out a second time about an hour later, and that was equally hard, and yet again, she didn't pee or poop.

Seriously, she is like a 60 pound sand bag, but not in one piece. Imagine a 30 pound sand bag with three other ten pound sandbags sewn on at random spots, and you get the idea. I never realized how much of a wimp I was until now. I mean, I've got pretty good mom arms from lifting the boys, but it doesn't compare to dog-lifting. So, to all the vet techs out there, I commend you on the skill you show at the surprisingly difficult task of dog-lifting.

As the boys were getting ready for bed, Tully the cat jumped on the bathroom counter. I decided it would be a good time to clean her chin. She has some crusty junk on there that the vet said to scrub with a washcloth. I'd done it before without too much trouble, but tonight Tully attempted to get away, I grabbed her by the neck to keep her from falling into the trash can, and she bit me in the process. She chomped down on my index finger, underneath the nail, and YOWZA that hurt. I have it wrapped as tight as I can in a bandaid, to make the throbbing less intense. I really don't want my fingernail to get all purple, but I'm not very hopeful at this point.

Hmm. Aren't pets supposed to be such a great calming influence in our lives? Still waiting for that. Just kidding, furry children, I love you all, even when you cause me intense pain.
Sally, the good side
The Franken-dog side
Evil Tully lurking around after maiming me
The Favorite Son sleeping

6 comments:

Maddy said...

We only have the cats [and their litter] to deal with at the moment. One of my girls has been begging for a dog since time immemorial, but I keep dithering. This makes me want to hold back a bit longer. There again a smaller dog......
Best wishes

Kristen said...

Ouch! Sorry Tully bit you! And I can't imagine trying to drag/lift a 60-pound dog outside to pee. Geez. Like you don't have enough on your plate.

I no longer believe that pets are calming / life-extending presences - at least not for people with small children. That's why we had to give Truman to my mom. We just couldn't take care of him and all of his high maintenance needs AND the kids and all of theirs without somebody getting the short end of the stick. It's hard! Hang in there - I hope Sally improves soon, poor thing.

Schmoop said...

4500.00!!?

Anonymous said...

Laura - be very careful of the scratch - cat scratch fever is not just a blistering Ted Nugent song. A cat scatch can be a nasty infection - my mom had to have her wedding rings cut off after Kiwi Kitty got her. Honest, the throbbing might be a signal, so skate to the Dr. if its gets worse. Honestly, I need youi to keep your sense of humor healthy. Lisa

Laura said...

Mcewen - Cats are definitely easier to deal with than dogs, even with the litter! Cats do tend to come with more attitude than dogs, too. Even though Tully bit me, she's still one of the sweetest kitties I've had, and likes to hang out in whatever room we're in.

Kristen - I guess the pets are nice about 90% of the time, and the other 10% you gotta chalk up to their being animals. Wait, my kids are about the same, but I guess I blame the 10% not nice on their being children.

Matt-Man - Yeah, $4500. Not that we couldn't find any number of other things to spend the money on. No, really, Sally, that was all for pet injuries. :)

Lisa - Thanks for the concern! I let my finger bleed a lot after the bite to clean it out, and it only hurts now because the injury is under the nail. It looks like it's bruised under the nail, but isn't puffy or infected looking. It's not throbbing/Ted Nugentish pain anymore, thank goodness!

Unknown said...

Well, they might be trouble, but they are beautiful animals!! :)

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online