Wednesday, April 11, 2007

Breakin' 2 - Electric Boogaloo

OK, this post isn't actually about the fabulous film listed above. It's about Spring Break! Whee! It is the second break of 2007 (mid-winter break was #1), so the "2" and "Breakin'" fit.

We're having a mellow, stay-at-home break. Well, that is, when not going to speech therapy or the dentist, the two big events of yesterday. Hutton had his teeth cleaned and no cavities and was great throughout the appointment. The dentist is so much about SWAG nowadays, though, that it seems almost fun to go. In addition to a new toothbrush, dental flush, and "happy flosser" or whatever the smurf they call those things, he got a token for the vending machines, and ended up with a pink rubber bracelet. He loved it, though, and the big, biker-looking guy in the waiting room had a chuckle over Hutton's excitement over a pink bracelet. Harrison, even though he didn't lower himself to have his teeth "counted", also got a vending machine token, and received a kick-ass dragon necklace.

After the dentist appointment, the boys ran around like crazy, and while I was answering the phone inside, Harrison face-planted outside and came in crying with blood all over his face. Fun. After cleaning him up and getting him set up with an ice pack, my BFF and her kids came over.

I attempted to make Rice Krispy Treats, using fake marshmallow fluff and gluten-free rice cereal. (Real marshmallows have corn syrup, which Hutton can't have. Plus I substituted ghee for the butter.) While I ran upstairs to print out the recipe for the treats, my friend opened the new container of fake fluff I'd bought and yelled to me something about it being gross and something was terribly wrong. I ran down and looked into the container and was horrified. The container was half-filled with some runny brown gooey liquid. I looked at my friend as if maybe she were playing a trick on me -- while I was upstairs, she'd secretly switched my regular fake fluff for some random melted crap she'd melted down in the microwave, perhaps? But no, she said that's what it looked like when she opened it.

I smelled it. It smelled OK. I dipped a finger in and tasted it. It tasted fine. My friend looked digusted and didn't think I should make the treats. I told her they'd be fine, but she was insistent that we'd get some bacterial infection or something. I said the ingredients didn't seem likely to have anything weird going on -- rice syrup and soy protein were the main ones. She was concerned about the soy. I called the hotline on the back of the container of RiceMellow and left a message about the weird crap in a tub I had bought. Then I proceeded to melt the already melted stuff into some melted ghee, stirred in the puffed rice and waited a few minutes. I tried them while my friend looked on in disbelief. They tasted like stale rice crispies with ghee and marshmallow, but didn't stick together like normal treats. The boys like them, though!

Next time I'll use coconut shortening instead of ghee, crisped rice instead of rice puffs, and hope the RiceMellow is in a normal state when I open the container.

Oh, and this morning at !!7:15!! someone from the RiceMellow company called. She left a message since I wasn't about to answer the phone that early. Come on, people! It's Spring Break! This was my only morning to sleep in! Grr! I called X back after lunch and she's sending me another jar of fake fluff and a shopping tote "to show off at the health food store!" Yeah, lady, if my second jar of fluff looks like melted brown goop, I don't think I'll be offering you any free advertising by carrying your tote. Well, I'll carry it with the name turned in.

~~~~~~~~~~~
This morning I found a new vitamin delivery method for 6 of the umpteen supplements Hutton takes daily (or should take daily). I made some pear sauce by pureeing some pears, and it safely covered the taste of several vitamins. I didn't attempt adding enzymes to it, though, as I've found Hutton will only take those in the expensive chewable tablet form (only $75 for a month's supply! Woohoo!). I bought them in powder form, thinking I'd be able to add them to his food or drinks, but he has successfully avoiding eating or drinking anything with the enzymes, except for the enzyme-laced chocolate wafers I made him for the express purpose of getting him to eat the enzymes. Hmm. So, I either order $75 worth of chewable tablets or go spend a half hour making a week's worth of enzymes in chocolate. Spring Break is just so much fun!

4 comments:

Maddy said...

I still have some chewable vitamins tucked away in the back of the cupboard - they must be a couple of years old now - so chuck out time. Maybe it's also time to try again!
Cheers

Schmoop said...

Laura Gone Wild!!

Laura said...

You know it, Matt-Man! Too cold for a bikini, or for taking one off with my other college friends for money. Wait, I'm a chubby housewife, not a hot coed. Drat! I could have made some nice money from the Girls Gone Wild folks if I'd made it down to Cabo...

Melly said...

Glad you're enjoying break! We're counting down until summer vacation. My kindergartener keeps saying, "First grade will be better." It's been a rough year. LOL
Thanks for linking me! I'll get you linked as soon as I find a template I like.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online