Wednesday, June 13, 2007

More Random Stuff and School Meetings

Yesterday, Harrison and I went to the postal annex at the mall while Hutton was doing speech therapy so I could mail a package. We were waiting in line, and some older, late 50s "gentleman" with greasy gray hair and a Hawaiian shirt was talking on his cell phone, leaning on the counter by the line. He was talking loudly enough that anyone in the vicinity could hear. I didn't really pay attention until he started talking about hooking up with the Southwest flight attendant from Missouri. "Yeah, she's 65, and wow, what a crazy lady! Afterwards, she said, 'Whew! I needed that.' And I said, 'Yeah, me, too, baby!" Apparently whether they'd be able to meet up again in Reno was in question. Man, I sure hope it works out for the guy. It really sounds like they made a love connection. Another customer finished paying, and looked at me and said, "I'm sorry you had to hear that," as he looked at Harrison. I smiled and nodded, but really, Harrison wasn't listening and wouldn't have known just what the IT was. The old greasy guy really was proud of himself and probably wanted everyone to know -- he's still got it, baby!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Today I had the follow up to Hutton's re-evaluation meeting at school. There was a bunch of different testing done to make sure Hutton still applied for special services at school. Hmm, he has Autism, talks at about the same level as his 3 year old brother, and has gross and fine motor delays. I wonder.

So, I headed to the school, where the school psychologist led the meeting. Things were going well (or at least, not unexpectedly; Hutton was still delayed in verbal, gross and fine motor skills) until she pulled out the psychological test results, including Hutton's IQ. I grabbed a tissue as my eyes started watering in preparation for what I was going to hear. The psychologist looked at me and said, "Don't worry. We're not going to tell you any bad news!" Yeah, right. I don't think being told your child is below average IQ is exactly good news, do you? She kept repeating that some of the reason the testing doesn't go well is because of Hutton's autism, but that really doesn't make it all better to see the bell curve and all of your son's stats lying on the "wrong" side of the chart. I know that Hutton is smart in his own way, and have faith he'll excel, or at least be proficient in math and science in time, but still, seeing that thin yellow section of the curve where he resides is painful.

The psychologist did have one good point I hadn't thought about. Discussing placement for next year, she said that repeating Transition Kindergarten, which strangely enough, the teacher I dislike wants Hutton to do, based on his youth (he's the youngest in the class) and "immaturity", might not be the best idea. As the psychologist put it, most of Hutton's problems in school are not related to immaturity but to his disability. Autism. That's why he doesn't stay on task and get things done quickly. That's why he is easily distracted, hates disruptions to routine and loud places in the school. I really appreciated that the psychologist pointed that out in the meeting with the teacher, who always focuses on how immature Hutton is, sitting beside me to hear it. I just don't understand why this teacher, who seems to really not like Hutton at all, wants him to repeat the class. Her class. She's the only TK teacher in the school, and they are not going to bus Hutton to another town to be in a different TK class. Just a little bit odd. So, whereas last week I was resolved that repeating TK was the only option for next year, now I'm looking at the other option -- a first grade contained class. (Contained is an all special ed class, as opposed to a general education class.) There's only one week of school left. I guess I better get on it!

5 comments:

Alijah Fitt said...

you really know what you want to do and what would be best, trust yourself on this one. I never think a kid should repeat a class with a teacher that doesn't like him, that's just my opinion though.

Anonymous said...

Laura - one of the issues that our family is trying to wrestle is - Jared has been the only verbal child in his class for three years. I don't really like him to be leader of the pack in class, I think he would strive more/or at least model other behavior if he were in the middle or bottom of the pack. How does Hutton interact with the teacher? Also consider the benefits of Hutton socializing/interacting within a more diverse classroom. Good luck on this particular balancing act.

Milehimama @ Mama Says said...

My oldest son is a grade behind - he's 9 but starting second grade, and he is in a self contained class. I was worried about it a little at first - how will he know what "normal" is, what target to shoot for? How will he make friends?

There are 5 boys in his class, a teacher, and an assistant, and it's the best thing I ever did! He is able to excel, and I think seeing the other kids like him *not* pull it together helps ward off explosions (when he is able). Even better, our school's program has the same classroom and teacher for grades 1-3; he'll have less transition next year. Also, they mainstream him for the electives - music, gym, and the like with a class of 'regular'kids so he has the support of the self contained and the interaction with regular peers.

Mama Says

chris said...

I have a 12 year old severely autistic daughter. She is not a candidate for integration due to her severe violence and the fact she barking mad and pretty dumb. A special ed classroom is the only solution for her unfortunately the middle school she has started in is terrible and we have the joy of three years with a teacher who believes in keeping them quiet rather than teaching them. But I guess we are having so many problems because she has had such good teachers previously. If you can I would recommend that an autistic classroom is better than a general special ed classroom and Mercer Island has a superb school if you can get your child sent there, lets see how many years her present school has to fail her before she gets moved.

Laura said...

I'm going to observe the contained class on Wednesday. I really don't think it will make up my mind for me, but you never know. If I really like the teacher and aide, that will be a check on the "pro" side. I like the aides in Hutton's class now, but the teacher...eh, not so much. I really wish there were more than two options, but that's not how it works. Unless I start making threats about legal action, and I don't have the balls to do that...yet!

Chris, I'm sorry about your daughter's teacher! That's what annoys me - that you find a good teacher your child works well with, but "have to" move on to new classes with teachers who don't know your kids and you have no idea how they'll act. Hutton's current teacher would be a fine general ed. teacher, but I don't like her as a special ed teacher. Weird, since she has a special needs child of her own. Hmm. Mercer Island, huh? Maybe we can afford a trailer there. Do they have trailers there? ;)

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online