Tuesday, June 05, 2007

Talking My Way Into a Cold, Cold Place

Last week, I revealed a bit too much to my son's Kindergarten teacher, and now I realize that I'm going to have to do something I don't want to do.

Sounds crazy and intriguing doesn't it? Well, it's not all that crazy and intriguing. Read on.

I didn't even talk my way into the cold, cold place. I simply checked a little box on Hutton's field trip permission slip. The box next the words: I'm a scuba diver and would like to help collect specimens to show the class on the trip.

Yep, I revealed my skill, and now it appears that only I and another dad in my son's class were foolish enough to check the box, out of two entire schools worth of kindergarten parents. And now I'm going to have to go diving in Puget Sound next Thursday.

Sounds fun and exciting doesn't it? Well, it is, but it's also very, very cold. Probably low 50s water temp. Sigh.

But, I am getting a bit excited to dive again. It's been six years! My last dive was in Hawaii, though, so not as cold. Time to find the PADI software and get cracking relearning some information I've forgotten. Maybe I'll go beg for someone to come with us at the local dive shop, too: "Yeah, I know I haven't been in here in six years, but I've been thinking about you all the time! Come to Mukilteo and dive with me, please?"

I'm getting cold just thinking about it. Think I'll check into what it costs to rent a dry suit while I'm at it!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, talk about taking one for the team. That water should be invigorating at best, so let's hope the kids don't get a crash course in hypothermia. Laura, you should be able to trash talk the entire school if you have to submerge your delicates in water that frigid. Good luck.

Laura said...

Haha! Thanks, Lisa!

Mom without a manual said...

That sounds really cool. My bet is you become the coolest mom in the school!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online