Monday, June 11, 2007

Tony, Tony, Tony

Not to be confused with the pop/R&B group Tony! Toni! Toné!, this is about Mr. Anthony Soprano. That Tony.

So, Hubby and I have been watching ole Tone for eight years. We didn't see the first season until it was in reruns, but got hooked pretty quickly. And then we did the, "What's going on? Who are they talking about? Now, who's that guy, again?" for the remaining time we watched.

The dry spell from Harrison's birth to the final season this past year was almost unbearable! Good thing we had a baby to raise to keep us distracted! And we were watching the Sopranos season finale when my water broke with Harrison. Really. June 6, 2007. Look it up! Crazy, huh? Should have named him Tony, I guess! Or maybe Harrison David Chase. Nah, too long.

Last night, Hubby and I sat down to watch the much anticipated series finale. We laughed at AJ's emo silliness -- I especially loved how quickly he went from listening to Bob Dylan in his SUV, to accidentally burning it, and getting the got the oh-so-fuel efficient BMW soon afterwards -- and Paulie's issue with the seemingly Christopher-obsessed cat. I got a great sense of enjoyment seeing Phil die, strangely enough. Probably because they cut to the cute, oblivious babies in the car instead of showing a crushed skull. Then, finally, the end scene. So much tension. And then....

WHAT THE FUCK? Hubby was pissed. "I watched this show for eight years for this! This is the only freaking show I even watch anymore." I pointed out that now he can focus on just watching movies.

After reading the various theories and interpretations of the ending, I'm starting to like the ending more. You know, it appeals to the English major in me, who spent so many years interpreting novels and blathering on about them. You can read any number of things into the way it ended. The symbolism of the onion rings, what's going on with Meadow's parallel parking problems, the cuts to the various diner customers. I thought immediately that Tony was dead, but you never know. As Journey's Steve Perry sang, "Don't Stop..." Oh wait, where's the believin'?! I won't stop believin' Tony!

3 comments:

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

I loved the ending. I know so many people are PISSED! Especially here in the NY radio market.


I TAG YOU. 8 things about you if you want or have time.

Laura said...

OK, Kimbally. For you, I'll stay up late blogging.

Alijah Fitt said...

I came here yesterday through Kim's blog. I love your site, so much cool stuff in it. I was going to comment on this one but got carried away with the meez thing and forgot that I wanted to say this:
I loved the closing scene in the visuals aspect, the music, the family gathering in an unpretentious diner, Mello not being able to park her car, (what was that about, wild horse instinct?). When it all went black I was screaming-Bulls___t!
But then my husband reminded me that before one of the regulars got whacked, forgot which one, he and T were talking about what it was like to die and guy said, "Everything just goes black".
I think this ending is about leaving come back options open however.
I think they're done and now I am a Big Love follower.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online