Wednesday, June 27, 2007

Why I Blog

Read Gouda's post on this here. Or here.

After reading this, I thought about why I blog. I started to be one of the cool kids, like Gouda and Kristen. They are moms I met way back on an online group I joined when I was pregnant with Hutton. And they were bloggers, and I wanted to be cool, too. So, I started my own blog.

At first, I thought someone, somewhere would see my blog and decide they just had to pay me to write for them professionally. (This is the same gullible part of my personality that thought I'd be hired by an advertising agency or publishing house fresh out of college with no experience. I mean, if you don't count my years at the Hallmark store printing stationery, or my internship at the theatre in my college town, where I mostly avoided the advances of the creepy old men who worked there (except for Brian, who was old, but not creepy, but he wasn't interested in college girls for some reason), or my multitude of volunteer work in college that had nothing to do with advertising or publishing. Hmm, the ropes course counselor bit should have been worth something! How about Green Earth Gang? And ECOS? No? Oh well.) Strangely enough, I have not been snapped up to write professionally, yet I continue to blog.

Why? I don't know. It's an outlet for my thoughts and feelings. The ones my children don't care about (yet! There's still time!) and I don't share with Hubby. For some reason, I've kept the blogging secret from him. It's the little part of me I keep for myself. Better blogging than an affair or drug addiction, right?

I also like to post about annoying things that I'm sure someone somewhere will find annoying, too. I like to post the things I think are funny. I know a few people appreciate the "my other ride is a mustache" humor.

And of course, I like to post about Autism, because it is so much a part of my life. Well, I wouldn't say I like to post about it. More that I need to post about it. I'd be more than happy if I didn't have Autism in my life, and could post about the other ups and down of a life without Autism, raising two "normal" kids. In my dream world, I'll post about what I did to recover Hutton from Autism, so other parents can read and say, "Oh great! That worked for someone! Let's try it on little Johnny and see if it helps!" Well, we'll see.

Now that I've been blogging for over a year, I've made lots of great friends. I never thought I'd consider random people I met online as friends, but I love reading what others in the diverse blogger community have to write, and I have found so much support, laughter, and yes, friendship, in my fellow bloggers, and those who don't blog, but read and comment on my blog. So, thank you bloggers! You're one of the main reasons I blog.

And if you want to pay me to do so, please, feel free. You know where to find me.

3 comments:

Mom without a manual said...

Blogging is my therapy. So many times I find myself sitting at the computer thinking that there is so much else I should be doing. But the dishes can wait and the kids can enjoy some down time. I need my time! This is truly the only thing I do for me.

I also agree with you. The support and laughter we share is what saves me some days!

Believe me, I'd pay you if I could!

Unknown said...

It really is therapeutic. I just wish there were some "scouts" out there who could go "I've seen a lot of hacks in my time, but you GOT IT, kid! Let me give you millions!" LOL I guess you have to be able to sing well or play a sport in order for that miracle to occur.

I'm glad you're still with us, Laura. I don't know how you've managed to hide it from your husband for so long. lol Mine spends so much time online he would have probably stumbled across it on accident by now. lol

Alijah Fitt said...

This Blogger greatly appreciates your sense of humor and majorly informative site. I had no idea the Puritans closed the Globe and then demolished it in 1642. I would pay you -not to stop- blogging.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online