Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Wishing Benjy's Family Peace

Benjy Heil, a seven-year-old with autism wandered away from home last Thursday, and after an exhaustive search, his body was found in a creek less than a mile from his home. Story here.

After last month's episode of Hutton wandering from the birthday party, I looked into getting a monitoring device. He hadn't wandered since the party, so I decided not to get one, but after this, I'm rethinking it. Hutton used to wander a lot when he was first diagnosed, 3 years ago. He'd walk across the street to see the horses, or want to look at the mailboxes. One time, our neighbor found him wading in the creek at the end of our street, wearing a tee shirt and diaper. This was while I was talking to the police officer in the driveway. As soon as I realized Hutton was gone, I ran out to the street, saw my neighbor, and he started looking while I called the police. I am getting tears in my eyes just typing this. I thank my lucky stars Hutton was all right then, and the handful of other times he's run off. (Yeah, that's what we agnostics write, since "Thank God" just seems wrong, though I do still say it a lot, as well as thanking Jesus. I'm agnostic, not atheist, after all!)

Many kids with Autism, Hutton included, are very curious, but don't understand the inherent dangers of the world, that other children learn relatively early on. And the water fascination. Sigh. I am always reminding Hutton when we go outside, stay where Mommy can see you. If I call your name, come to me, or answer so I know where you are. Still, nearly every day my heart stops if I look down for a moment, then look back up and don't see Hutton. He and Harrison love to chase each other around the walkway around the house, but the problem with that is there are so many blind spots, and the seconds before he pops up running around the corner can be agonizing. Yeah, the monitoring device sounds like a very good idea. Fortunately, Harrison is a very good snitch watch dog and will tell me, "Hutton's digging a hole!" or "Hutton's by the neighbor's fence!" The neighbors have two big German Shepherd dogs, and a menacing sign in their driveway about how their German shepherds can make it to the fence in 15 seconds, can you?

Of course, I was a wanderer as a toddler, too. The story my mother likes to tell, which is funny when she tells it, but was not so funny at the time I'm sure, nor with the news above, was when I was about eighteen months old, Mom went to go pick up the babysitter, leaving my dad in charge of watching us kids. He was working on a car in the driveway, and I was playing in the sandbox. Except, a few minutes later, when Mom was driving home down the busy street near our house, she saw something moving on the side of the road. A blurry child came into view. "Oh my goodness! That's a toddler!" Closer, "Oh my goodness that child is naked!" Closer still, "Oh my goodness, that child is LAURA!" Mom wasn't too pleased when she got home and asked Dad, "Where's Laura?" Dad: "Oh, she's playing in the sandbox." Mom: "NO SHE ISN'T! SHE WAS RUNNING NAKED DOWN TWELFTH AVENUE!" Yes, I am lucky to have survived those days, and apparently Hutton got my elopement gene.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

Oh, that story is so sad. I hope poor Benji didn't suffer. His poor parents

I lost Jessica once, its a complete nightmare

Kids, who'd have em...

Mom without a manual said...

Did your mom ever forgive your Dad? Yikes!

I know what you mean about Benjy. I can't seem but think about much else these days. There are so many dangers out there...how do we prepare our kids for all of them!

Anonymous said...

Laura - our similarities are stacking up, both agnostic, both prone to early age streaking. While running around my FL neighborhood naked (circa 1969), a woman picked me up in her car and asked where I lived. I saw my brother and his friends playing in the neighbors front yard so I took her there. This lady read my neighbor the riot act for about 5 minutes, before my neighbor said "She's not my kid", and by then I was gone...

I've thought about getting Jared an ID bracelet, but he'd be likely to remove it immediately. How does one combat that?

Unknown said...

That is such a sad sad story about little Benji. :( I'd definitely look into the monitoring devices...

Although yes, I did find myself laughing at the dialog portion of your streaking story. And the visual. But at the time, that had to have turned your mother's hair white.

Carmen San Diego said...

Although it was so sad, thanks for sharing the article with us. Hope you are enjoying your day so far.

Anonymous said...

I lost Molly once, for a few minutes, and I felt my heart starting to break before we found her. She is not a wandering child and I know that is one less worry for me!
Good thing Harrison is such a dilligent brother. And I will cherish the image of a bare butt Lil' Laura racing down the street.

Clara

Laura said...

Lisa, Yep, I'm always saying to myself, "Why did I want to have kids again?" I do love them so much, though, pain and suffering notwithstanding.

MWAM - Mom did forgive Dad. They divorced, but it was 12 years later, so my escape streaking wasn't the cause!

Lisa (Jared's mom) - that's so weird! Where in FL were you? I was streaking in beautiful Gainesville a few years after you - 1974 or so, when I was old enough to run naked. Don't think I did any naked crawling on the street!

Hutton has a metal ID bracelet that he can't really take off - has a weird clasp he hasn't figured out yet. I don't really know how the monitoring devices go - if you can take them off and on easily or if they are like jail tags! The "Homefree at Home" looks like a watch, so it's hard to tell if it's easy to remove. It's marketed for the alzheimer's patients, though. Don't know if that makes a difference!

Schmoop said...

An exhibitionist from the start, eh Laura? Cheers...

kristi said...

Oh, that poor family. We have 4 acres of land, so usually TC doesn't get far before we call him back.

Alijah Fitt said...

Having a child is the most terrifying experience a human being could ever have. The terror never stops, good news!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online