Sunday, August 26, 2007

And to Think, I Actually Paid Money for This Crap

(That was typed "carp" first. But I fixed the typo because I didn't want to mislead anyone into thinking I was blogging about goldfish, and have them be terribly disappointed!)

Check out this link. Click on the picture of the cute little baby to read the article, first.

Essentially, she took the blog entry right out of my brain! I was reading Parents Magazine in the bathtub last weekend, and I got to the page mentioned above, and steam literally started coming out of my ears. Well, OK, maybe the steam was coming off the hot water, but still....

My thoughts (the ones I had in the tub, but didn't get around to blogging about last weekend. And then I had the magazine in my car and spilled some caramel sauce on it. It's a long story involving lattes. You really don't want to know.): First the "Autism Update" was some stupid "study" that supposedly disproves any connection between vaccines (or, the mercury in them) and Autism, because the mothers of children with Autism were no more likely to have had the RhoGAM shot than other mothers (of non-autistic children, I assume). And that proves what exactly? Some mothers get a RhoGAM shot because it supposedly protects their unborn babies with an incompatible blood type from the mother. Before 2001, these shots had thimerosal (a mercury-based preservative). After 2001, they apparently took out this super-important ingredient for some reason. (No, not because it's bad for you. Really, it's perfectly fine to have lots of mercury in your body. Ask those dentists who still use mercury fillings in your teeth. Or that Mad Hatter character from Alice in Wonderland.)

So this study says there's no connection with women receiving the RhoGAM shot having a greater incidence of children with Autism. Great. Good for them. But you know what? I had a shot containing mercury when I was pregnant with Hutton. A flu shot. In fact, I had two of them. Because the first does supposedly doesn't cover you. And I fell for the hype. "Oh no! The flu! You'll die! Run for you life! Get a shot! You're a pregnant but otherwise healthy woman, but without this shot you're doomed!" And just in case that wasn't enough, I had my eight mercury fillings leaking mercury vapor with every hot or cold drink I had. Coffee and milkshakes? Yes, please! My baby would like some more mercury! And then, in case Hutton didn't get enough mercury in my uterus, he was injected with his first mercury-containing shot just hours after birth, when he came out blue from having the cord wrapped around his neck. Hmm. We'll just give him some oxygen in the NICU to get him good and pink before we further tax his little immune system with an unnecessary shot. Yes, I'm calling the Hep B shot unnecessary. Hutton did not, in fact, leave the hospital to go shoot up drugs and have unprotected sex soon afterwards. Now, it's possible a Hep B infected druggie or crack whore could have run up to us while we were leaving the hospital and injected him with a dirty needle, but not really probable.

So, the fact that I didn't receive the RhoGAM shot and still have a child with Autism means nothing to me. This study doesn't make the vaccine-Autism theory immediately disappear, as far as I'm concerned.

And, please, don't look at the cute little baby above the story and assume he or she has Autism. That would be just horrible. That's why Parents added that neat little disclaimer: The child pictured is a model and is unrelated to the issue described in the text. God forbid a child have Autism. It affects 1 in 150 now, but rest assured that the model doesn't have it and your child couldn't possibly get if from your RhoGAM shot. Back to your normal lives.

Yes, I'm tired of these parenting magazines. I think it's time to cancel my subscription.

7 comments:

Arwen said...

So no one reported you for neglect when you didn't immediately leave the hospital and let Hutton shoot up? I guess the statute of limitations has expired. One thing about statistics, they are used all the time for political gain, whether the politics are religious, medical or governmental. They always drive me batty.

Unknown said...

One question: Has anyone looked into pesticides as well? It would seem to me, with all of the crap we are expelling out into the world chemically, that there would have to be more than one culprit in addition to mercury. Of COURSE (insert cynical voice here) the pharm companies and doctors do not want to single out vaccines because there are billions of dollars and public health issues at stake if people stop using vaccines, not to mention the lawsuits that would follow.

It seems that there would have to be a genetic component and an environmental trigger, and that those environmental triggers can vary. For instance, I have an autoimmune disease that was inherited from my mother, but triggered by a case of strep throat when I was 6. In other people, it might have been triggered by something like chicken pox. In other cases, it might not have been inherited at all but be fully environmental, or it could be fully genetic without a trigger, etc, etc.

It just seems that there is more than one road to this disorder. The fact that it's increasing at an astronomical rate, even with the mercury fears out there, tells me that there has to be things in addition to the mercury that are causing this. Like the pesticides, the artificial coloring in our food, etc.

There are likely mothers out there who have never had flu shots or Rhogam shots, or any other mercury-laden shots who probably are wondering why their children are autistic.

Or am I completely wrong on this?

I'm trying to learn.

Laura said...

Arwen - You're right. If you have a set of numbers, you can "prove" whichever side you like, and the people who support you will generally support you anyway, and not give the numbers a second glance.

Allie, you're right on with the pesticides. No one has really looked into that, either. The problem is all of this research is focusing on genetics, or inane ideas like watching TV causes Autism. Uh, no. Since there's no way genetics alone could account for the huge increase in Autism (not to mention all of the other things increasing like ADHD, asthma, food allergies, etc.) it's frustrating. I definitely think there's a genetic component AND an environmental one. Many children with autism cannot clear toxins from their bodies (I can't explain it well, since I was an English major!) but it involves sulfation pathways and other assorted goobledeegook I don't really understand. There's a gene involved, too - the MTHFR or something like that, although a lot in the autism community call it the motherfucker gene. Boy, we're witty, aren't we?

My personal belief is that Hutton's distress at birth, followed by his early shot, and then his other shots, and his colic (probably from my drinking milk, which he couldn't tolerate in my breastmilk, but of course nobody says colic is food allergies, it's just COLIC! Arrgh). It's one of those things - I'll never know if it was one thing or another or everything combined, or if he would have had autism even without shots or anything else.

My big frustration is with the powers that be trying so damn hard to convince people mercury has nothing to do with it, when so many of us in the autism community believe it has a BIG part in it, and trying to cover it up with some half-assed study that doesn't really prove what they want it to doesn't mean anything. The book Evidence of Harm has lots of good info, but I won't make you read it! ;) This article http://dir.salon.com/story/news/feature/2005/06/16/thimerosal/index_np.html is good, about Simpsonwood and the safety of mercury in vaccines, or lack thereof, and Discover Magazine in April had a great series on Autism -- even I almost understood the science!

Anyway, I have definitely turned into a crazy conspiracy theory mom now. Never thought that would happen!

Anonymous said...

Not only did you pay money for this crap, you bought me a subscription too for Christmas last year! I am too thinking of canceling the mag or rather not renewing. Talk about incredibly stupid and insensitive to have that blurb about that "baby" model!

BFF

Anonymous said...

BTW Can I borrow that Discover Magazine Series? If you still have it?

More from the BFF

Mom without a manual said...

Your are singing to the choir over here. I totally understand what you mean about not expecting to buy into the conspiracy theory...I didn't really expect to believe the hype. We looked into the biomedical stuff because as an autism parent that is what you do...you research every possiblity! Then we found certain issues that were so obviously at play with JP. You try one thing and it makes a little difference. You try another...and before you know it you are convinced that our Government knows what is going on but won't do anything because of the economics. I don't know how I got there but it happened to me too!

And I absolutely couldn't stomach reading any of the parent mags the second time around with my younger guy. Every article was pure fluff with no real substance and I can't help but question everything when I know how badly they continually botch the autism articles.

I feel like no one in the media has the guts to raise the questions and hold people accountable to find the answers.

And since I am rambling on and on I might as well give my opinion on mercury. I equate it to cancer. Can cigarette smoking cause cancer? Yes! Is all cancer caused by cigarette smoking? No! Can Autism be caused by Mercury? Yes! Is all autism caused by mercury. No, probably not.

Signing off,

A fellow RhoGam mom laced with the flu vaccine

AshleyLeo said...

I'm feel totally ill now.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online