Thursday, August 16, 2007

It's My Birthday. Go Ahead, Worship Me!

Yes, it's my birthday again! I share it with my sister-in-law and Madonna, and it's also the anniversary of Elvis' death. So, it's a day of joy and sadness. Sadness if you hate Madonna or love Elvis. Joy if you love Madonna or hate Elvis. See?

This morning as I was checking my email, I scanned for things that looked personal and birthday-ish. Saw a note from my sister, and then I saw something about an e-card.

Now, the past month or so, I've had tons of spam masquerading as e-cards from friends, loved ones, and colleagues. Of course, they're always listed that way -- "A friend has sent you an e-card!" or "A relative has sent you a new card! Click here to read it!" or, "A co-worker has sent you a card!" Hmm. I don't have a job. Or friends. I know they're scams! I always delete these instantly, though if you scroll over the address they're from, they are usually from some spammer's address, not a legitimate site where a card might come from.

So, this morning, I found this one particularly amusing:

Your Worshipper has sent you Birthday postcard from superlaugh.com.

Click on your card's direct www address below: [insert fake link here]



My what? Hold on a second. The person who wrote this spam thing actually thinks people who read this will believe someone worships them? Well, I'm sure someone somewhere is narcissistic enough to be well on their way to having their hard drive infected with spyware at this very moment! Just not me.

OK, I do think that I'm being worshipped somewhere. Come out, worshippers! Show yourselves! We will restore the glory of the earth through my ministry!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A bit related, but this morning I was thinking that this is my 34th birthday, which means I've lived longer than Jesus did. Then again, I didn't have a band of followers and change the world. I also didn't get crucified. Hmm. There's always this year, right?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I want to wish you a happy happy birthday! I'm glad I caught this today!

Do something fun.

And stop deleting my e-cards!

;)

Schmoop said...

Happy B-Day Laura, I hope it was a good one!! Cheers!!

Alijah Fitt said...

I worship you, but I don't want a replica of your crucifixion (if it should happen) around my neck to prove it to anyone. OK?

Laura said...

Thanks for the birthday wishes, guys!

Stacy - but I just had them made in preparation for the crucifixion! (oops, I misspelled that crucifiction first - freudian slip?) They look very tasteful, actually. And I had them make my body look much better than it does in actuality. Yes, I am indeed going to hell.

Lisa said...

Happy Birthday

Sorry Im a bit late, night shifts interrupt my regular blog reading..

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online