Friday, August 17, 2007

It's My Party and I'll Bitch if I Want To

Well, there's not a party. Not even a dinner. And I'm pissed. No, I don't need a birthday party. In fact, I don't really like birthday parties. They're OK every once in a long time, but really, after a certain age (post college for me) I think they're kinda silly, unless you're getting the whole family together to celebrate Uncle Hughey's 85th or something like that.

But, Hubby and I did make plans to go out tonight to celebrate my birthday. The night after the real day, but Hubby had to work late yesterday, so whatever. Friday night sounded great. A night out for the first time in months. We went out to dinner on our 10th anniversary in June, but other than that, haven't gone out together since December probably, when we visited family and left the kids with grandparents. So, I searched around and found a babysitter who seemed nice and professional, had good references, etc. I was so looking forward to dinner, and dare I dream, possibly a movie, with Hubby! Whoa. Craziness. I saw Ratatouille with the boys last week, and that was my big summer movie. Make that my first movie of 2007.

So, yesterday was nice. I met my friend and her kids at a farm that has kiddie rides, and the boys had a great time, as did I. I was tired when I got home, and didn't really want to deal with getting dinner ready by myself since Hubby was working late, but hey, I had Friday night to look forward to. I could do it!

I checked my email around 6, then went to make dinner, get the boys ready for bed, etc. I checked my email again before bed at 11:30 or so. And saw this:

Dear Laura,

Good evening. I feel awful about this but I am not going to be able to come over tomorrow evening. I know you will most likely not want to hire me in the future as this is very unprofessional. I have had something happen that I must attend to tomorrow evening and that is all I can say. I am so sorry for all of the inconvenience I am sure this will cause to your plans.

Regretfully yours,

Super Megabitch


Arggh! I told Hubby that I'd try to find another babysitter today, but so far no one has called me back. This just sooo pisses me off. I know it's just a stupid dinner and (possibly) movie, but when you don't get to go out with your husband more than a couple times a year, its something you really look forward to.

And, once I start wallowing in self-pity, I think that I have no idea if Hutton will be able to live on his own as an adult, let alone be left at home without a babysitter when he's a teenager, so I can't look forward to that: "Only seven more years and you can go out to dinner again!" Hmm. If I wait ten years maybe Harrison can be the babysitter for himself and his brother. Well, that will be a great 44th birthday, then! Can't wait!

6 comments:

Alijah Fitt said...

I have a few spells I could cast on the mega bitch. Sheeze, I am sorry. I know the 'ready for an adult night out' feeling but it is true, when you are 44, you won't have this problem anymore. If you are like me (and I am pretty sure we are very much alike in many ways), when those kids are gone, as mine have been for years, you will be really sad and miss them too much. I practically had a breakdown over it. Enjoy them , make a family birthday party out of it. You have so much to be happy about. (Sorry so preachy, but, someone had to)
HAPPY BIRTHDAY
ps, I love Madonna and Elvis, happy-sad

Laura said...

Cast away, Stacy! I'm sure she's a very nice person, but the whole canceling by email the night before thing angers me.

I found someone who can babysit, but only for a few hours. That way we can still get dinner. I love my kids, but being able to eat a meal I don't have to cook for myself, and not worry that Hutton will eat something he shouldn't (why we don't go out to eat much anymore) is so wonderful! The movie will have to wait, or be viewed the way I watch most other films - on the couch, knitting. I actually get something accomplished that way, though!

You are right - I will miss my kids when they grow up and fly the coop. Hopefully I'll be nice enough that they'll want to spend time with me when they're adults. Really, I'm not a bitch allthe time.

Mom without a manual said...

Sorry for the cancellation. Yeah, that was pretty lame. canceling at the last minute is one thing but doing so over email is cowardly!

I am glad you atleast got out for dinner! I hope it was delicious!

Happy belated birthday!

kristen spina said...

Happy Birthday. And I hope it all worked out.

We don't have babysitters either. Ever. Or mostly never.

Anyway...really, seriously, happy birthday. And I kind of like Madonna and Elvis so maybe I'm of the happy/sad variety.

Kim Rossi Stagliano said...

ARGH! At least the kid told you. We've fortunately always been able top find sitters. I just lined one up for Sat. night. I'd go nuts if I couldn't play grown up every so often. DAMN YOUR SOCCER KICKING AVATAR IS DISTRACTING ME SHOOT THE BALL ALREADY! Happy belated!

AshleyLeo said...

Happy birthday Laura! I have a July birthday, but after 8 years of having no party, my sister threw me one while I was visiting this summer. Quite different - for starters, you don't get to open your own presents. ha ha!

Anyway, I feel for you. We are in the same boat with the babysitters. I am hoping a new one shows up tonight, because for the first time in a year we were invited to a party. And I really feel like going!

We thought about hiring someone to come one night a week no matter what, but that gets too expensive. I'd love to just not worry.

For a while, my Autism moms and I took turns babysitting each other's kids. For sure us moms are reliable!

I hope you and the boys have an easy start to the fall schedule, and I hope it's not too disruptive! My kids are a little nervous but excited.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online