Thursday, May 11, 2006

Another Busy Week

It's been a busy week here. Well, busy for a lazy hausfrau, so probably mellow and laid-back for most of you.

Monday night I went to Hutton's school to help mat the artworks for the auction tonight. It was actually pretty fun, and I got to see Hutton's beautiful watercolor, which looks like an abstract landscape. Now I won't have any problems bidding on it!

Another plus to attending a PTA function at the school (which I am usually complaining about, because I always feel like a big push-over whenever I go to these things) was that I was talking with another mom whose son sees a lot of the same doctors as my son, and we were comparing notes on treatments. Unlike me, though, she actually seems to like the pediatrician and neurologist, whereas I see them as wasted money most of the time when I leave feeling I still know more about good ways to treat Hutton than they do. Examples: At the last neurologist visit in January, I went in armed with all of my information. "I've read about people having success using Valtrex [an anti-viral drug used to treat Herpes, but found to be helpful for kids with Autism, as they often have viral issues as well] You know, Hutton has been having lots of cold sores lately, so I know he has some viruses." Silence from neurologist. "And maybe we could do M-B12 shots..." [A pretty straightforward treatment, most kids have a good upsurge in language and eye contact on B12] Neurologist: "Well, since Hutton is doing well now, let's just continue what we're doing. " Meaning, just keep doing the speech therapy and ABA. He continues, "Now, there's talk that if these kids are doing well without biomedical treatments, just imagine how great they could be doing with them! But I think we should just wait." Hmm. OK, doc. Of course, I left and continue to treat Hutton with everything I can get over the counter that drs. won't help with. He gets the plain old B12 vitamins, but I'm sure not in high enough doses to really make a difference. We've also done several rounds of chelation [mercury removal] using an over the counter vitamin, and I think that's been a huge success. But, what do I know? I'm just his mother who spends all of her time caring for him and trying to find ways to make him more socially adept and happy.

Now to the pediatrician. We see him about once a year. He comes in, glances through Hutton's file, which has reports from the neuro, the speech and ABA therapist, test results, etc. "How's everything going?" I look at him, decide that it's pretty worthless to try to get him caught up on all we've done in the past year, so just let him do the basic pediatrician check-up. After talking to this other mom, though, I may make an appointment with the regular pediatrician to see about having Hutton's yeast levels checked and maybe trying some Valtrex and B12. If I can get some studies printed out for him to read, he may actually go along with me! What has he got to lose?

Another plus from Monday: I was talking about kindergarten for next year, and that Hutton is ready to go to a "transition class," but I had heard from another mom that there was a new extended day program at our neighborhood school that will have kids with Autism. I was complaining that I hate that I only hear about these things from other parents, when the preschool administrator overheard me as she was walking through the room. She actually stopped to talk to me, knew who Hutton was, and said we would have a meeting in the next few weeks and see about getting Hutton in the extended day program! Wow! I guess the squeaky wheel does get the grease. If I can overcome my innate shyness (yes, I am shy! Can you believe it?) I may actually get what I need by, gasp, asking for it!

Long-winded post continues....

Tuesday I had a soccer game. It was a bad game for my team. We had a full team, which is always good, but were missing our regular goalie and one of our best defensive players. By half-time, we were down 5-1. I agreed to play goalie for the second half, as it wasn't like we really stood a chance of winning at that point. I did OK, for a really sucky keeper, that is. I stopped a couple of very easy shots, let in 3 more, but was bored most of the time. Plus, I didn't get any exercise in the second half, so that was annoying, as that's one of the reasons I play soccer. I spent the half pacing and bouncing and singing songs to myself and willing our team to score. So, the game ended being 8-2. Don't think we need to worry about playing in the championship game this season.

Wednesday I went to lunch with my friend Liz and bought some plants at Molbak's, a fabulous nursery in downtown Woodinville. I planted them that afternoon, then went to dinner with my bookclub.

Tonight is Hutton's school auction. I'm quite sure I will buy a Hutton original watercolor, and may buy a beach umbrella embellished with the handprints of Hutton and his classmates. It all depends on if there are more than two of us from Hutton's class there, as there are two umbrellas.

Well, that's the really long-winded, boring post I made of my busy week.

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

Laura, you continue to inspire me with your level of knowledge about autism as well as the power of your advocacy. Don't worry about being shy--you are asking the right question, you are gathering the information where you can, and you are putting it to you! You challenge all of us to better advocate for our kids....

Jennifer said...

OK, now I know I should have gone to bed an hour ago. I meant "questions" instead of "question" and "putting it to use" instead of "putting it to you." My brain actually did go to bed an hour ago; the rest of me is up!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online