Thursday, May 18, 2006

Some Soccer, Some God Talk

In the past few days, I've been very tired. This is because it is sunny and warm out, and when it is sunny and warm, the boys want to play outside all day long. This is truly exhausting for adults.

Tuesday night, I had a soccer game. We won, though not by much, and I'm rather proud to say I saved our team from the last serious attempt on goal the opposing team made. I wasn't playing keeper, though. Our goalie ran out to attempt to block a shot, and I had to run very fast to get back to the goal, just as the ball came firing down. I got to the goal just in time, and kicked the ball out as it was just coming over the goal line. I must say, I'm much better protecting the goal when I'm playing defense than I've ever been as goalie.

So, in addition to this highlight of the game for me, there was the low point: our keeper got annoyed by a comment from another of our players. The comment, as the keeper was getting ready to do a goal kick: "Try to go for distance, rather than height." Sure, not exactly helpful, as most players do try to go for distance over height with their kicks, but nothing horrible, right? Well, our keeper was bitching about how she didn't have to listen to crap from other players, but I wasn't really paying attention to her, as I was trying to play soccer. The next thing I know, she had stormed off the field and left! Fortunately we had a player on the sidelines who was willing to play keeper, but had never done it before. Luckily the other team didn't score again, though we all played our butts off to keep them away from our goal. I just can't believe how juvenile this woman is. This is the same woman who really hurt my feelings at the first game of the season (and her first time playing with our team) when she told me I shouldn't play defense. The next game, I played defense again and she told me how good I was in the position. Hmm. OK. Whatever you say, crazy freak.

On to the God Talk. I was at stop light and checking out the car in front of me. It had one of those stickers of the boy and girl praying at a giant cross. Hmm, not my style, but I don't have a problem with it. What I did have a problem with was the Jesus fish on the back. This wasn't the regular old Jesus fish, or my fave, the Darwin evolving fish, but the Jesus fish sporting the word "TRUTH" eating the Darwin fish. Huh. Really? Cause I think the truth is that the evolved fish wouldn't be in the water with that Jesus fish. You know, it evolved and all, and got out of the water. And you're basing the "TRUTH" on what? Scientific theory? Proven evidence? No, the Bible. Hmm. This plays into Allie's post from yesterday about the Da Vinci Code, and how pissed off the Catholic Church is about people believing the ideas of this work of fiction rather than their chosen work of fiction. At least the Da Vinci Code was researched.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Laura- too freakin funny about the "Truth" fish eating the Darwin fish. By the way, that is also my favorite fish. I want to get one for the Rav, even though I'm sure Ken will not let me go beyond my requisite school parking sticker for automobile bedecklements (damn, that was a really dorky phrase).

I saw a bumper sticker awhile back that I am sure set a few people on fire just reading it, but I always found it to be funny. Probably because I'm just of the sick sense of humor sort and even as a Buddhist, I have to laugh at myself. Because to not would pretty much mean that I had too much an attachment to my beliefs, which is not very good Buddhist practice. But I digress. This is what the sticker said:

"Definition of Holy War: My invisible friend can beat up your invisible friend."

Damn. :)

Kristen said...

Laura, what an odd bumper sticker. And if you think about it, the Jesus fish symbol came about because of the "I will make you fishers of men" story, which conjures up the image of those very men swallowing something "hook line and sinker" (like Christianity's version of truth, for example). And what happens to the "men" who are fished out of the sea? They get EATEN by the "fishers", right? So I guess that bumper sticker was accurate, but incomplete. It didn't show the Jesus fish eating everything else in its path IN ADDITION TO the Darwin fish, which is its ultimate goal.

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online