Tuesday, June 13, 2006

YAWN!



Harrison, my baby, is 2 now. It's been a full week, and I've come to terms that he's not a baby anymore, even though I still call him my baby, and will until he's a teenager. And then I'll probably continue, just to annoy him.

We had a party for him on Sunday. I spent a lot of Saturday baking him a cake, using the special Elmo cake pan my friend, Liz, lent me. I had to make a few trips to the grocery store, as I didn't write a list of what I needed. Hmm. So, that's what those are for!

After baking the Elmo cake, I let it cool for about 10 minutes, then attempted to remove the cake from the pan. I was doing pretty well, until I reached the upper left quadrant. Elmo cake looked like he'd been in a serious accident. I pressed pieces of cake back into the giant gashes, and hoped that frosting would cover the problem areas.

It did to an extent, but Elmo still looked like he'd had a really rough night after I slapped on the frosting. His fur looked disheveled, his face was a bit uneven, and when I added the pupils to his jaundiced looking eyes (hey, buttercream frosting has a lot of butter, and butter is yellow, OK?!) they started to drip down his eyeballs.

I had to get all the other food together, so I didn't have a lot of time to worry about Elmo's imperfections. The end results were good though. The cake was yummy, and Harrison looked goth after getting black frosting smeared on his face.

So, on to the title of this post. Harrison wakes up at dawn every day. Every once in a while he'll wake up in the middle of the night, but thankfully that's an exception and not the rule. The rule is waking at dawn, though. And here in the Northwest, dawn comes at 4:45 a.m. in June. Yay, me. I can usually get him to sleep in bed with me for another hour or so, and then he'll get up and go play on his own for a little while. But the damage is done. My 5 hours of sleep, followed by a couple of hours of interrupted sleep, just don't cut it. Isn't it time for a nap, Harrison?

At least I can look forward to the days slowly getting shorter next week! Come on, Summer Solstice!

1 comments:

Kristen said...

Oh, man. The waking before dawn thing is awful. But I like the fact that Harrison will wake up later and then entertain himself for a while. My kids seem incapable of doing that. SIGH.

Happy Birthday, Harrison!

© blogger templates 3 column | Make Money Online